Waking from Hibernation

dirancan

Location (City and/or State)
Slough
Hi All

I have a Hermanns tortoise that is approximately 25 years old. She was a rescue and went to sleep/hibernation of her own accord in the previous owners garden. On acquiring her the first year we hibernated her but the second year she vanished. We thought she had been stolen but to our surprise she emerged in the spring all well.

Since then i have this year moved home so had to find her and put her into a box where she has been hibernating. Now the weather here in the UK has warmed up early and she has started to wake early this year. What advice do you give, do you suggest i get her out of the box in the normal way and let her wake up then if it turns cold she would find her own place to hide until it warms once more?

any advice gratefully receiveed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Once the tortoise wakes and becomes active, it is time to get them up and going again. If the weather outside isn't suitable, then you have to make a large indoor enclosure and create suitable weather with a warm sunny basking area and proper ambient and overnight temps. Daily warm soaks for a couple of weeks will also help with hydration and getting the GI tract moving again.