Elevated spot for winter home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batchick

5 Year Member
We just had our first big reins since we got our bowsprit. I discovered, as did he, that his chosen sleeping spots are all low lying and prone to water logging. I'm not thinking about building his winter spot (we are in Cape Town, South Africa, so he will winter outside). It seems counter to all his behavioral tendencies, but should I think about building a mound for the shelter so that it doesn't get waterlogged? Or find some way to ensure the ground is well drained? I can't think how that would be though, a stony base isn't his style, he prefers to bury himself in sand and leaves.
I know most folk here keep their torts inside, particularly in winter, but I'd appreciate any insights.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I can't help you, but there will be someone come along soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If I'm remembering correctly, they don't burrow in the wild, but rather prefer to hide under bushes and scrunch down into leaves and debris. So what you can do is, once you know where he likes to spend the night, haul in some dirt and make the spot higher than the surrounding landscape, then place leaves and garden trash all around for him to hide in.

You said, "I'm NOT thinking of building...." and then later you said, "...should I think about building a mound..." So I'm a little confused. If you ARE going to build him a shelter, then, yes, build it up on a mound.

batchick

5 Year Member
Thanks. Sorry, typing error first time. Yes, I am thinking about building his winter spot. Your advice sounds good, thanks. Perhaps if I start now,he won't notice it getting higher day by day - like in Shawshank Redemption, but not quite.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Mounds work well...just remember to compact it from the base all the way to about the middle so it will be solid enough when it begins to get saturated....or you may get compression on your tortoise....

Keep in mind that your tortoise would have scouted and made his natural selection for creating his pallet ....so very different once captive. I have always let my brumating tortoise do their thing until the weather during the winter the prior couple of years has brought flooding along with freezing temps....brumation is not what your tortoise does but just sharing that once captive we sometimes have to make provisions for them....so you may want to offer a couple of mounds in a variety of locations in your yard....also placing some rocks near the base will provide strength without feeling like you "built" him a home....our home drainage needs sometimes can create waterways for our tortoise :D

batchick

5 Year Member
Thanks, Ascott. I'll pick up on all this and try and make a set of good spots for him

Status
Not open for further replies.