My 5 year old sulcata, inside again this winter

pokeyncrusher

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
:<3:We did not make him his big outside deal yet, we were ready, but as soon as it got chilly, my Pokey was trying to break down all entrances to his gigantic yard! He wanted inside. My husband said ok, maybe he’s not ready!? He is 30 lbs. about 5 years old, amazing personality, he has an attitude a lot of times. Haha. We do our soaks, except he demands to stay in the wash tub looongggg. But that’s ok, he has been out of his 65 gallon for 2 years now. He has a perfect long spot on the side of our couch, he has his UVB, and his gigantic heat mat. What else can I do with him. He is fine there, he comes out, sits with us, walks all around, like a dog. Until he has and likes his outdoor winter enclosure, how can I make it better in here? He carries around a small turtle cat toy! He freaking sniffs really loud and hard if you take his big pile of blankets away to wash. He’s like a big human! Any suggestions? I’m not putting him out this winter, too late now. When it’s around 50 degrees he goes out. He is getting heavy...His summer enclosure is the whole yard! Pool, hut, trees, the life. I just feel bad this winter. Any ideas? We have room in our dining room/ playroom. But we don’t want to build anything crazy big in here because when it’s warm he demands out. And he has his hay, all his good stuff in the kitchen like the dog. I’m growing grass too.

CB46243E-E1B9-489B-A7A3-8D731DB73545.jpeg 804DEB67-38AA-4645-B953-9DF5441E76CC.jpeg 1EE464EB-6626-4AE6-8EA6-A4F3B850D916.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What do you do about the volumes of pee they make? We don't encourage allowing tortoises to wander around the house on the floor, but it sounds like this tortoise has accepted this way of life and is getting along ok.

Be thinking about a heated outdoor shelter for next year. Because of your very cold winters, I would make him a shed that is big enough to walk around in when he can't go outside. A nice big insulated shed. Here's what my sister had for her sulcata in the Pacific northwest:

Darn it, my sister used Tiny Pics to upload her pictures and they no longer show up here on our forum. This is the only picture I could find that still works. The shed (in the background) is 10' long by 8' wide. She has a sectioned off corner inside with a sleeping box that has a pig blanket inside and the rest of the shed he can just wander around in.

bob here he comes.JPG Bob's shed.JPG