Either picky or no appetite

littleleo

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara
I have a picky little tort. I changed his tank from a 15 gallon to a 40 gallon. He has his uvb light which is spread across the tank. Humidity stays at about 89%-95. The overall temps range from 83-89. Basking is at 95-100. I use a CHE now at night to regulate his night temps so they do not fall below 81. Water is accessible everyday at all times and I soak once or twice a day as long as he is up and about for about 25-30 min. Everything is fine for him but I feel like anything I try he won't eat. He hates kale, grass, hay, carrots, bell peppers. He just won't touch them. Today I gave him a mix of arugula, bell peppers (first time), carrots (first time), dandelion greens, grass. And he had like one bite of the dandelion green and that was it. Left it there to waste. He eats the dandelion greens just fine when I just put a whole leaf but it seemed like he got tired of them b/c he started to leave them be as well. I used to give him prickly pear cactus as well and he didn't eat that either. Sometimes I give him Mazuri but he'll only have about three bites of it and then that's it. I have also given him tortoise grassland good specifically for leopards and he dislikes it as well. I've tried and tried but nothing seems to work so if anyone has a better list of food please send it my way. I don't want him to starve and prolong his growth. I'm just running out of ideas. I would truly appreciate it!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First leopards don't do grass until they are older around 3-4 years unless they were started out on it as a hatchling before you got him. Same with hay. Try ridichio, endive, red leaf lettuce, mustard and collard greens. Chop a few different ones up fine. Then spread a little Mazuri on it, kinda mush it into the greens. Feed him after his morning soak. I have found my leopards to be picky too. Mine have never like peppers. If you find something he really likes, then chop that into other greens, and spritz with water. He has to eat the bad to get the good.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I second the radicchio and endive. I have had very good luck with escarole as well. That and endive are easily found at most grocery stores. I feed the radicchio a little more sparingly than the endive and escarole but the color really attracts my torts to it. You could try sprinkling some herbal tortoise hay on top of your tort's food to help with variety, I get it at tortoisesupply.com

alixapgh

I have a picky little tort. I changed his tank from a 15 gallon to a 40 gallon. He has his uvb light which is spread across the tank. Humidity stays at about 89%-95. The overall temps range from 83-89. Basking is at 95-100. I use a CHE now at night to regulate his night temps so they do not fall below 81. Water is accessible everyday at all times and I soak once or twice a day as long as he is up and about for about 25-30 min. Everything is fine for him but I feel like anything I try he won't eat. He hates kale, grass, hay, carrots, bell peppers. He just won't touch them. Today I gave him a mix of arugula, bell peppers (first time), carrots (first time), dandelion greens, grass. And he had like one bite of the dandelion green and that was it. Left it there to waste. He eats the dandelion greens just fine when I just put a whole leaf but it seemed like he got tired of them b/c he started to leave them be as well. I used to give him prickly pear cactus as well and he didn't eat that either. Sometimes I give him Mazuri but he'll only have about three bites of it and then that's it. I have also given him tortoise grassland good specifically for leopards and he dislikes it as well. I've tried and tried but nothing seems to work so if anyone has a better list of food please send it my way. I don't want him to starve and prolong his growth. I'm just running out of ideas. I would truly appreciate it!!

alixapgh

My Leopard is 23 years old and I have never been able to get her to eat grass/hays. I try hiding it, only offering it and nothing else for days, covering it in something fruity. I am stumped with what to do with my picky eater too.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Usually chopping all the food up very finely and adding a tiny bit of hay/grasses in with it (a small enough amount so your tort doesn't notice) and then increasing the amount in feelings overtime will do the trick.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Usually chopping all the food up very finely and adding a tiny bit of hay/grasses in with it (a small enough amount so your tort doesn't notice) and then increasing the amount in feelings overtime will do the trick.
But wet the food so it all sticks together and then your tort can't just pick out the best bits :D

alixapgh

Thank you I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this issue. I have tried taking one of those dehydrated hay pellets mixed with all kinds of good stuff and the only brand of desert tortoise food that she will eat, all wet. She will just knock it all over the place! Like she knows! How much did you start with? Maybe the pellet amount is too big. She did like the cactus I had shipped from Arizona. She is a Diva! She is outside in the warm weather and goes through the lawn looking for dandelion leaf and clover. But if I buy dandelion greens she will not eat them. Sniff and shuffle away-

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
My tort doesn't like store bought dandelion greens either.
Loved the ones from outside but hates tore bought ones. Go figure!