Eggs

Daisy1

Location (City and/or State)
Norwich
Hi my 9 year old herman tortoise laid 4 eggs I would guess about a week ago, when I was doing some weeding I came across nest and about week ago she was acting strange stomping about but I didn't think anything of it as she had not been near a male for about year , do you think they would be fertile and also ok if they have been in ground for a week? Thank in advance
Daisy

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi my 9 year old herman tortoise laid 4 eggs I would guess about a week ago, when I was doing some weeding I came across nest and about week ago she was acting strange stomping about but I didn't think anything of it as she had not been near a male for about year , do you think they would be fertile and also ok if they have been in ground for a week? Thank in advance
Daisy
Hello and welcome to the TFO. That is a really interesting question...but I'm really not an expert. I have read that box turtles can lay fertilized eggs 3 years after. I'm sure you'll be getting some answers from more knowledgeable people soon but in the meantime I would just keep the nest protected as it is. Not moving the eggs around. Just in case.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I week in the ground was probably good for them. I leave mine in the ground for a month or more sometimes. Hatch rates go up with this.

Some species can retain sperm for a long time. Others not so much. I don't know about hermanni or any other Testudo species. Sulcatas are only good for a few months and fertility falls off rapidly. I've heard of leopards making fertile eggs 5 years after contact with a male.

Either way, this should help:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/