Eggs

angelaxkzr

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
I have two Hermann’s Tortoises, a 4-year-old male and a 5/6-year-old female. They live in a (very) large outdoor enclosure most of the year, except for about 3 months in the winter. They have been in there together for about a year. The past couple of months they have been in their indoor tortoise box and I caught them mating a few times. A couple of weeks ago the female started digging nests all around and finally laid 4 eggs. I removed the eggs (she didn’t seem to mind) and they sat at room temperature for about 4-5 days while I waited for an incubator to arrive (I purchased this one: https://www.amazon.com/Magicfly-Digital-Automatic-Incubator-Chickens/dp/B00KD75VHW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520831871&sr=8-4&keywords=incubator).

The eggs have been in the incubator for about a week now, and have all developed chalk bands. They are sitting in a shallow dish in about ½” of vermiculite. The problem is I am having a lot of trouble controlling the temperature and humidity inside the incubator. The thermostat on the incubator says the temp is set at 86F, while external thermometers I have placed in there read from 89-91F. The humidity (I have about ¼” of water in a reservoir at the bottom of the incubator) ranges anywhere from 65-80%.

Does anyone have any suggestions on controlling the temperature/humidity?