hermans tortoise from uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazcaz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hi everybody found this web site a few days ago i love all the info i have 2 hermans 1 male aged 5 years and 1 female aged 8 my little male has been trying to mate with my female do you think he is young my female charlie has laid eggs just over a week ago i have incubated them do you think they could be fertile or am i wasteing my time and electric thanx caz

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi and Welcome! Congrats on the eggs! I don't see why they wouldn't be fertile, but I guess you'll have to wait and see! One of my Russians laid eggs I didn't think were fertile but I incubated them anyway. (Okay so I was right... but still! LOL!)

We'd love to see pics of your Hermann's!

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
Welcome!!!! Pictures are always appreciated!!! LOL

cazcaz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hi i will just have to wait and see then just dident know if he was to young he is still pestering her and shes still stromping about im sure she has more to come

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum. Hope you have some fertile eggs!

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
hi Caz im goin thru the same thing:D, good luck:)

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome and good luck! Post some pictures if you get the chance.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the TFO caz. I would continue to incubate them have they started to turn white yet(chalk-up)?
How many did she lay? What size are your torts?

cazcaz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hi thank you all for advice but i still dont know about theses eggs im incubateing 2 of them are white at the top 3 of them are half white half yellow and looking at the size of the eggs i carnt imagine a tortoise comeing out of them becouse they seem so small

cazcaz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hi she layed 7 eggs in total but she broke 2 of them so i have 5 when you say chalk white up does it mean that the yolke of the egg is at the bottom as 2 of them are but 3 are half white half yellow my female is 8 inchs long and my male is 6 inchs long

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
caz the 3 eggs ive got seem to match how u describe urs.. this is the 1st time for me as well:)

cazcaz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hi micki yes this is my first time at incubateing and i dont mind waiting if i knew they were fertile but it seems a long time to wait and be disapointed when you get nothing

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
thanx for the link.. ive checked mine against the pix and mine just look yellow on one half and white on the other.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Micki and Caz, when I candled mine for the first time (day 2) I saw nothing all the same color. About 2 weeks later I candled them again and saw a line a little less than half way up from the bottom that seemed yellow darker than the top - different from the rest of the egg. I waited about a week and candled again and saw what I was hoping were veins. 25 days from first laid and Yes they were veins.
This is a link to the thread that shows the candled eggs at 25 days. The second picture shows better how the yolk looks from the rest of the egg.
http://tortoiseforum.org/new-pics-of-echos-clutch-t-1106.html

Now these eggs were 3 cm long and weighed 12, 14 and 16 grams. I too thought no way a tort will come out of that small egg.
here is the links to two that just hatched. Mine are Greeks. t.g. Agtakyan/Jordanian-Israeli .
http://tortoiseforum.org/hatchling-2-has...-1693.html
http://tortoiseforum.org/new-hatchling-in-the-house-t-1668.html

Give them time. Micki your female laid March 9th that was 15 days ago. Caz your female laid about March 13th? These eggs are only about 11 days old. Candle them in a dark room at about 25 days and look very closely. They are really tiny. Hopefully you will see veins around then. If you give up too soon you will never know if they were fertile.
Patience is the key. Remember do not turn the eggs. mark an x with a soft pencil on the top so you know what end is up.
Hope this helps.

Stells I loved the pics you posted of Dannys eggs. Shows the true progression of the eggs.

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
thanx Crazy i find ur posts really helpful.. Caz maybe our eggs could be fertile. for some reason i cant get the links to work tho.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
thanx for that... i'll carry on with the incubation and keep my fingers crossed.:)

cazcaz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yeah me too i carnt get the links to work had a look at the othere links there great i wouldent mind if only one of them hatched im not greedy just dont like waiting 16 days today since she lay them got a long time to wait yet

Status
Not open for further replies.