Egg shells

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
So we had a large party here last weekend and as a result I have egg shells all over my yard and I mean all over. I have been out of town a few days so today I am out cleaning up. I have both my Russians out enjoying the day with me. I noticed my female is eating the egg shells. I took it away and she got mad. The male has no interest but she is hunting them out. Should I be concerned? I assumed that meant she's craving extra calcium, even though she gets supplements every other day and has cuttlebone access all the time. What do you think?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
This is one I'm going to let someone else answer if you don't mind an resurve to come back and comment on later . But thank you very much for the question .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

parrotlady

5 Year Member
I heard that egg shells were ok. I have a friend who has been breeding tortoises over 20 years and she cooks the eggs and then mashes the eggs, shells an all before feeding. Note, this is only on a rare occasion.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I heard that egg shells were ok. I have a friend who has been breeding tortoises over 20 years and she cooks the eggs and then mashes the eggs, shells an all before feeding. Note, this is only on a rare occasion.
I've heard of doing this for the omnivorous torts, box turtles and water turtles but not for russian or vegetarian torts.
As far as just the shell, I would try for cleaned, ground egg shells.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I've been raising torts for 13 yrs and I've been drying egg shells and running them though a coffee grinder . And dusting their food with the powder . I feel the eggs are checked for human food so they are safe .

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Thanks Ken for your input, I have only done this for my red foots once. This is a great forum for sharing information and learning.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I have feed my Hermanni egg shell before, and from time to time they will have some bird's eggs (I have too many Love bird) as calcium supplement.

IMG_0755.JPG IMG_0758.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    880.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    761.1 KB · Views: 12

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I dont plan on making it a habit but I also wont loss sleep over what she did consume. She really seemed to enjoy it. Thank you for everyone's input.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Why are egg shells a good alternative ? Cannt it be primary.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I think Katie meant a good source for calcium. For her it's an alternative because her tortoise don't utilize the cuddle bone. Some torts prefer the natural egg shell. I have some hinge backs that will not eat powdered calcium food, no cuddle bone, nothing. But when placed in the outdoor pen, the will scrap and gnaw the limestone rock in there, filing the beak, and getting calcium and iron from that rock. Pretty interesting.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
The reason I was asking is I ve been feeding my torts dried powdered egg shells for about 10-12 yrs and they seam to be doing great with it . Thank you for your time !