Egg-bound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

natalie369

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wolverhampton,UK
Hello my tortoise is gravid, she has been acting strangely for about 3 weeks and has not ate in 2 weeks, I have tried to make her enclosure deep enough with soil etc to bury. I had to have her induced a few months back, even though she had not been with the male for nearly a year.

She is pregnant again, I am fretting on whether to take her to the vets again, i do not like seeing her suffer like this and do not want any harm coming to her.

She has been like this for 3 weeks, is that too early to take to the vets, or should i leave her a bit longer and try and have the eggs naturally.

Worried sick.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Natalie:

First of all, welcome to the forum!!

What kind of tortoise is it? You might try soaking her in warm water. Put her under a light in a pan of water that is warm to the touch. If it cools, pour it out and add warm water again. Try this for about an hour.

Is she outside? What is her habitat like? Is there a place for her to dig a nest?

natalie369

5 Year Member
Wolverhampton,UK
Sorry for the late reply.

She has been egg-bound before (my first experience of a gravid tort, so did not know what to expect), and had to have her induced. So just assume she is gravid now,going by her behaviour.

She is a Hermans, the substrate is about 5 inches deep(soil and sand) her house is 3ft x 2ft. The temp is 110 under the basking lamp, cooler the other end. I am trying to keep soil moist/damp by spraying now and again. She is mooching all over the place the last few days, digging scratching,squating,stretching her legs trying to lay. But whatever i do to help with the soil etc,nowt works. She had 3 eggs previously, no unfortunately i did not incubate them.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Don't think I need to repost it here, but I am trying to help her out on another forum. :D

Keep PMing me the threads though Marta :)

Danny

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
egyptiandan said:
Don't think I need to repost it here, but I am trying to help her out on another forum. :D

Keep PMing me the threads though Marta :)

Danny

Danny is there a thread already that touches on egg bound tortoises signs and syptoms? I would like to know more about this

Status
Not open for further replies.