Substrates - need input :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
I've read massive amounts of care sheets about substrates but i've never really understood the purposes of it. Is it mainly for humidity or just so substrate can absorb their pee and so it will not smell and cling to their body? Is it for digging? Do stars really need to dig?

I ask because, it's been my constant dilemma. I find that using substrates like cypress mulch, aspen beddings, wood shaving/chips, soil... anything that creates dust does not apply to me bec. it makes my tort's nose runny. I think it's because our weather is so hot that these substrates dry up easily. If I use laid down newspapers, it's not advisable since it does not give much traction when they walk. Can i use rubber mats instead? There's no reptile carpet available so that's not an option.

Our humidity level is very high, it's mostly 100% most days, do I really need those substrates instead of using rubber mats or upside down tiles? (assuming substrates are used to create higher humidity)

Thanks in advance to those who will share their opinions :)

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok
You have 100% humidity? Wow! Even on rainy days it "only" gets into the 80% of humidity here. :D

My guess is (and I'm not an expert, just my opinion), that, if you can find something, that makes it easy for your tort to walk it might be ok.
As far as I read (and seen on my star) they do not really dig.

You could also try coconutbark/mulch (maybe just in a small part of the enclosure) if you haven't already.

Mina :)

coastal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Eco Earth works really good, the torts like to burrow down in it to sleep. Easy to clean, easy to keep moist if needed. Its cheap too, comes in bricks that swell up in water. I sell it on my site if you cant find it local (its heavy for shipping).

Status
Not open for further replies.