Eating Problems again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, Ohio
Bobo my baby russian is not wanting to eat much. I feed him a variety of collards, kale, escarole, romaine, dandelions. He has been eating ok for awhile then stopped for a day so I tried spring mix and he started eating again. After that I went back to his variety of other stuff as listed above. He quit eating again. Today I sliced up so apple and carrots and he ate them both. I am confused does he only need one type of food every day and continually rotate? Do you see a pattern? Any suggestions?

Thank family

Oh and he keeps smelling his substrate ( coco coir) and taking bites of it

yoyoyod said:
Bobo my baby russian is not wanting to eat much. I feed him a variety of collards, kale, escarole, romaine, dandelions. He has been eating ok for awhile then stopped for a day so I tried spring mix and he started eating again. After that I went back to his variety of other stuff as listed above. He quit eating again. Today I sliced up so apple and carrots and he ate them both. I am confused does he only need one type of food every day and continually rotate? Do you see a pattern? Any suggestions?

Oh and he keeps smelling his substrate ( coco coir) and taking bites of it

Thanks

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
broad leaf plants... Spring Mix salad is good.. Fruits are not. grated carrpt over the greens to entice him to eat is ok.
He needs to be warm... or he wont eat.. and proper lighting..

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
Laura said:
broad leaf plants... Spring Mix salad is good.. Fruits are not. grated carrpt over the greens to entice him to eat is ok.
He needs to be warm... or he wont eat.. and proper lighting..

All of that is a check! He seems to be really picky

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like pickiness to me, if he'll eat one thing but not the other. Just keep offering it. He'll get hungry soon enough!

ottosmom18

5 Year Member
I HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND TAKING A LOG OF HIS WEIGHT. MALNUTRITION IS FATAL, SO IF THIS PERSISTS TAKE HIM TO THE VET.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They can slow down a bit this time of year anyway. As long as he is eating 3x per week or so, he should maintain unless he is extremely active. Keep soaking.
You are feeding correctly: keep offering variety; sometimes he will eat, sometimes not. One day he will like a certain green, the next he will ignore it...

I agree you might want to weigh him weekly (food scale, good prices on Amazon) and record. It may go up and down a few grams, but make sure there is not a trend.

Come Spring and Summer, when he can get outside consistently in the sun, you may see a different tort.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
Thanks guys. He eats about every other day. Not a ton but he does eat. I will start a weight log I have a postal scale. I am just trying to keep up the variety. I am seeing #2's about every other day and he seems to be moving around good. GBtotoise on here said the babies function best between 68 and 78 degrees. His basking spot is at 95-100 degrees and I shut everything off at night. It never drops below 60 in the room. I have the lights/heat on from 7 am to 9 pm. He spends most his time in the warm end. I changed his substrate to 50/50 organic potting soil and coco coir. I have been wetting down his substrate everyday and soaking him every other day. I can't wait for spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.