eating habit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
So, my Russian, Ezek, when I first got him did not eat much. Then, the last month, he was eating full portions. He past 5-6 days he has not been eating very much (approximately 25% of his food). His enclosure temp ranges from 80-90 daily, he receives soaks 2-3 times a week, his tank will be misted with a spray bottle 3-4 times a day. And, since Sunday he has been outside 3 times for a few hours and the sun has been great. What might be happening? I am not too worried because he is eating some and he is still active. Also, his diet has been spring mix mixed with endive, escarole, and sometimes green leaf, red, or romaine. Thank you in advance for your help.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Russian tortoises need a basking spot around 95*F, and ambient temperatures in the 70s. If his enclosure temp is just "80-90" overall, then he will be unable to digest his food, or regulate his temperature, and he may lose his appetite. Make sure they have a nice temperature gradient, with a cool area and a hot area so they can control their own body temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.