eating mulch??

Status
Not open for further replies.

redtort

5 Year Member
hello i usually feed him earthworms outside of his habitat. Today i dropped one in his feeding dish in side the terrarium, and the earthworm crawled out as he was trying to eat. Before i could help he at the earthworm covered in a good amount of mulch, I am now afraid that this will have consequences. What should I do? also the winter is approaching does any one have any experience with substrate heaters, coils, heater cables, pads, etc.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Mine eats worms, slugs, and whatever he can fine when he's outside, and I'm sure some dirt, or cypress mulch gets stuck on whatever he's eating. So I wouldn't worry.
When inside I keep a heat emitter on one side that I stick through a hole in a screen top, and a long tube 5.0 UVB on the other side that's over the screen to filter out some light. That's all I use..no bulbs, coils, pads or cables. Low light, high warm humidity. I leave the heat emitter on 24/7 and only have the light on during the day. Hope this helps.

LindaF

5 Year Member
I give my little guy worms as well and the worms never stay in the dish like they are supposed to either LOL. My little RF brushes most of the mulch off while wiping his mouth with his foot, but still eats some of the dirt and mulch. I'm sure he will be OK.

redtort

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Mine eats worms, slugs, and whatever he can fine when he's outside, and I'm sure some dirt, or cypress mulch gets stuck on whatever he's eating. So I wouldn't worry.
When inside I keep a heat emitter on one side that I stick through a hole in a screen top, and a long tube 5.0 UVB on the other side that's over the screen to filter out some light. That's all I use..no bulbs, coils, pads or cables. Low light, high warm humidity. I leave the heat emitter on 24/7 and only have the light on during the day. Hope this helps.

thanks terry o. I have had him 8 months now, and have learned that he is a fan of 80 degrees. I will post some pictures soon, but my setup is kinda of similar to yours. During the day I have a 5.0 and a heat emitter on, now the heat emitter hangs right over his water pan it kinda helps me with humiditiy. He does hang around in the water for a while since it gets warm. However on the cold side the tem stays about 76 to 77. I can never see to get the temp up, and the humidity stays low as well, so I constantly am spraying. When it gets really cold I use a space heater to the keep the room temp high as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.