Tortoise eating dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scooter

We where getting some nasty storms last night so I go out to bring all the torts inside. It was already overcast and sprinkling. Roll, my largest RF, (about 6 inches), was digging in the dirt. At first I thought he might be looking for an earthworm, then he starting taking bites of dirt. Is this something I should be concerned about? He has many plants in the enclosure and tons of grass and weeds, and I have seen him eating them all. He is eating well, very active and acting normal (other than the dirt eating). Any ideas why he would be doing this and what I should do about it?

DSC02102.jpg

dabayliss

5 Year Member
Well - none of mine have eaten 'pure' dirt - but two of them eat little shells - and they will all eat poo if they find any ....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, the tortoise is looking for minerals. I use a product by Sticky Tongue called Miner-all. You just sprinkle a little over their food occasionally.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Quite some time ago,I thought my RF Jack had eaten a brillo pad, (long story how he got that!!) I had Xrays taken and his belly was filled with little pebbles. I posted here when it happened and apparently it is very common. (I have xrayed him over time and he seems to always have some in there.) So maybe dirt and rocks are just yummy..?? Go figure. (Oh yeah there was no brillo pad eaten!!)
Nay

S

Scooter

Thanks everyone, this is the first time he has done this. I'm not sure if it had to do with the storm coming in or not. I will continue to keep an eye on him, he was not taking big bites of the dirt just little nibbles, so maybe he thought he saw something yummy in there, who knows.

Yvonne, thanks I will look into getting some of that and start giving them some on their treats, just to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.