eating less, sleeping more...should I worry?

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
I've had my tort for a year now. He\she is about 1 to 1.5 years old. When I got my greek it weighed about 30 grams...now he is up to 118 grams.

The last 2 weeks my tort has really slowed down and is eating a lot less. He now wakes up every other day and on the days he wakes up, its only for about 4 hours.

Nothing has changed in my torts environment as far as I can figure out. The tort lives indoors, as its freezing cold here outside (about -5C). My temps are:

night: about 19C
day cool side: about 20-21C
Basking: 36C
Humidity at night about 60-70% during day 40-50% (the average humidity has gone down about 10% since we started heating for the winter)
lights on 14hours a day (6.30am to 8.30pm)

The mvb powersun is new (160W) and there are also 2 repligo 2.0 tube lights. The indoor enclosure is large and well lit. The enclosure is also partially covered to help with the humitidy.

My tort gets weeds, spring mix, fresh edible flowers, pre-alpin pellets and sometimes komodo tortoise pellets. Soaks about every second to 3rd day and always fresh water. The last month he hasnt gained any weight (but the good news is that he didnt lose weight either).

The only possible reason I have thought of was that it might be 1-2 degrees colder indoors now that it is winter and since my tort sleeps under a spider plant far from the basking light, he might not feel the heat from it when it turns on in the morning. However, this has not been a problem before....

My questions are:

Should I worry? Should I wake my tort every morning before I go to work and put him\her under the basking light?

Why is this actually even happening?? I know testudo hibernate in the wild but why should this be happening indoors?

Sorry for the long post....hope someone can figure out what I am doing wrong. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It does happen indoors. Their little bodies sometimes just "know" its time to hibernate despite our efforts.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Tom said:
It does happen indoors. Their little bodies sometimes just "know" its time to hibernate despite our efforts.

Thanks Tom

Should I worry or just let my greek continue to eat less and wake every other day?