When should I start to worry?

w0ikeen

Location (City and/or State)
Ca
My 1.5 -2 yr old RF has recently flipped over in the heat. He threw up a couple times. Ive been soaking him twice a day. Someone has recommended pedialyte for when he soaks, did that for a day and going to continue to do that. His eyes shut when he is not being soaked, and still not interested in food. This is the 4th day im pretty sure. When should i start getting worried?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe I suggested the Pedialyte. If he is not eating either, I would also add pureed baby food to the soak water along with the Pedialyte. With a RF you can add any of them, fruit, veggies, etc. Try one that you think he would like the most.
It's time to worry. However, I'm not sure a vet will do more harm than good. If you have a good reptile vet with tortoise experience, you might have some luck. For now all you can do is what you are doing and hope for the best.
@Yvonne G any other ideas?
@ZEROPILOT how about you, any other ideas

w0ikeen

Ca
I believe I suggested the Pedialyte. If he is not eating either, I would also add pureed baby food to the soak water along with the Pedialyte. With a RF you can add any of them, fruit, veggies, etc. Try one that you think he would like the most.
It's time to worry. However, I'm not sure a vet will do more harm than good. If you have a good reptile vet with tortoise experience, you might have some luck. For now all you can do is what you are doing and hope for the best.
@Yvonne G any other ideas?
@ZEROPILOT how about you, any other ideas
I assume organic baby food would be good. Any specific flavor? Or fruit?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 1.5 -2 yr old RF has recently flipped over in the heat. He threw up a couple times. Ive been soaking him twice a day. Someone has recommended pedialyte for when he soaks, did that for a day and going to continue to do that. His eyes shut when he is not being soaked, and still not interested in food. This is the 4th day im pretty sure. When should i start getting worried?
Your case is unusual. Usually when they overheat, they either die then and there, or if you catch them in time, they recover and are fine within an hour or two. I have not seen a case like this where the tortoise survives, but is still not okay days later.

I don't know what a vet could do for this. If it were my tortoise, I would keep the soaks up and make sure all conditions and temps in the enclosure were correct. Then, hope for the best.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I assume organic baby food would be good. Any specific flavor? Or fruit?
Either one, organic or not. We usually recommend carrots but that's because most torts needing this can't eat fruit. If I were you, I would do a fruit one day and a veggie the next and so on. Maybe add a protein in every 3 or 4 days.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Same.
They seem to either die from the experience or bounce back pretty quickly.
Does he drink in his soak? If he does you can put a little carrot or sweet potato baby food in the soak. As has been mentioned.
A vet visit would be my first choice.
Second would be to keep him warm. Hydrated and let him rest.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Either one, organic or not. We usually recommend carrots but that's because most torts needing this can't eat fruit. If I were you, I would do a fruit one day and a veggie the next and so on. Maybe add a protein in every 3 or 4 days.
I have always used carrots because the Vit A is more than any other....

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Same.
They seem to either die from the experience or bounce back pretty quickly.
Does he drink in his soak? If he does you can put a little carrot or sweet potato baby food in the soak. As has been mentioned.
A vet visit would be my first choice.
Second would be to keep him warm. Hydrated and let him rest.
Y'all know I just went thru this for the 50th time....Sorry, but I do not think that tort will make it. He would have improved within a few hours...I hope I'm wrong...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have always used carrots because the Vit A is more than any other....
Y'all know I just went thru this for the 50th time....Sorry, but I do not think that tort will make it. He would have improved within a few hours...I hope I'm wrong...
Yes, but the A is more for the eyes, closed eyes they can't or won't open. This guy just trying to get him to eat and back to good health after being flipped and in the sun.
As for your experience with this, like Tom said, this one has survived longer than they usually do. Also hasn't recovered as quickly as they usually do either. Should have been dead by now or better, so not quite the same situation.
Granted, it's not looking good, but I don't think it should be given up on either.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you post some pictures of the tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
also how long should I be soaking him for? hrs?
I wouldn't bother with a vet personally. I think that would be a waste of time and money. They know so little if anything about tortoises
Yes, I would soak for at least an hour daily or for 30 minutes twice a day. Be sure to keep him warm, but not too hot. Fill a container that will fit in his enclosure with just enough water that it comes just over where the top and bottom shell meet. Make that water 85-90 degrees and set the whole thing inside the enclosure. Add the baby food and Pedialyte to each soak.

Happy_camper

Tortoise Club
San Diego, CA
Wouldn't a good herp vet be able to give fluids directly? Even if you didn't run blood tests etc, you could ask they give him fluids so cost just checkup and fluids? Do you have a good reptile vet nearby?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wouldn't a good herp vet be able to give fluids directly? Even if you didn't run blood tests etc, you could ask they give him fluids so cost just checkup and fluids? Do you have a good reptile vet nearby?
Trying to find a good one that knows tortoises is the problem. They are not taught about tortoises. Unfortunately the do more harm than good most of the time.

w0ikeen

Ca
My tortoise is doing better I think, but not doing 100%. He can open his eyes now, moves a bit more, and eats but not a lot. Should I just keep it up with the baby food and pedialyte soaks until he's 100% better and eating and moving like normal?