Desert Tortoise Hatchling Sleeping too much?

gabby.santana

Location (City and/or State)
California
I just recently adopted a CDT hatchling about a week ago and this is my first weekend with him. I usually am at work for most of the day and hardly see how he behaves through out the day. I know every morning he is eager to eat and poops, he also seems to be like his water dish. However, this is the first time I notice him spending most of the day in his hut and I want to know if this is normal behavior for a baby or should I be concerned? I also have a question about heating. The warmest side of his tank is at 90 degrees and I try to moisten his substrate every day. Should I higher the temperature, I use the Zoo med Powersun Uv-UVB 100 watt should I get an additional basking bulb or add a heating pad? I use a 100 watt ceramic heater at night, temperatures normally reach 87 at night on the warmer side.

gabby.santana

California
sorry temps normally reach 80 to 85 degrees at night is that too cold? How can I make the enclosure warmer? also how far do the lights need to be away from the tortoise? I feel like the CHE does not provide the full heat because it might be too far away. Here are a few pics of Benji Buttons
upload_2016-1-23_19-39-41.png upload_2016-1-23_19-40-32.png
upload_2016-1-23_19-43-33.png

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you should have a basking spot of around 100 degrees.

gabby.santana

California
Thank you @dmmj Do I need to have anything additional to the CHE for the night? The enclosure won't get too warm with the powersun bulb and the basking bulb?