Easy or harder to care for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
Hi, I was reading up a bit about russian torts, some sites say they are very easy to care for and others say they are touchier to keep than other types of torts. I was wondering what most keepers would say?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pretty easy. Just don't try keeping them in pairs.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
Tom said:
Pretty easy. Just don't try keeping them in pairs.

My niece wants to have a tort and asked about the russians. And box turtles which I know nothing about.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
As long as you get the basics down, Russians are not hard to take care of. However, they need A LOT OF ROOM. And they do much better outside (even if only part of the year).
Some mention a 2'x4' table for an adult, but that is really too small. So that might be the limiting factor for some.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think the russians and the hermanns are both great to start with. Any adult tortoise is going to need some room to move around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russians are similar in size to a box turtle, but the russians are much easier to house and feed in my opinion.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I would go with a Russian instead of a box turtle. I love boxies! But Russian's are easier :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Tom said:
I think the russians and the hermanns are both great to start with. Any adult tortoise is going to need some room to move around.

True, Tom. I guess because Russians are easier to come by (big box pet stores, etc.), you tend to see them in pet store advised enclosures; small aquariums, etc.

Shelloise- Do you ever see Tortoises for sale on Craigslist (or the equivalent in Canada)? A pet store tortoise tends to be more recently wild caught, and shy. But a tortoise that has been around humans might be a better one to start with.
Just a thought.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
They are the best choice for you in Manitoba. If an abundance of weeds, they are quite ok with the short warm season there, since in habitat they spend only about 3 months above, gorging, fattening, laying eggs. The extreme places where is found are not unlike Manitob after all- central Kazakhstan. Be careful about rain protection, they cannot take cold rain; spring and autumn are critical.
Yeah, take a Canadian citizenship one :)... wildcaught adapt harder, and imports are severely depleting their numbers. Not much captive-bred there, as it is always easier to poach... until total depletion, in some places.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
Lynnedit., Craigs list for where I live won't allow people to sell animals and reptiles here. We have Kijiji which does. Once in a while a pet store will have tortoises for sale but are super expensive

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Probably a good thing. I wonder if there are any rescue organizations for reptiles in your general area?

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
lynnedit said:
Probably a good thing. I wonder if there are any rescue organizations for reptiles in your general area?

There are a few. None wanting to rehome or sell though that I'm aware of. I have seen the odd ad and they have been really expensive because it is hard to find people around that raise torts

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I have had a few specious and the Russian I had was an escape artist, he was able to get over a foot tall wall up a 5 foot hill around a pond and behind a tomato pot. I had always liked the specious but I had buyer’s remorse because I had wanted to go with a larger specious and I had heard (not sure on truth or not) that the Russians were more prone to carrying diseases such as the herpes virus and because I had purchased him from a pet store he wouldn’t eat around me or come to me in is enclosure. I had a box turtle, but he was a vicious little guy that would take a finger off given the chance, I also wasn’t a fan of having to dig up worms for him all the time, even though he lived in the backyard. I had a young sulcuta but I always freaked out about the size and my g/f had a nice house for him so after two years I gave him to them. So finally with the specious I have come to love and enjoy the most is the Leopard specious (Babcocki) they will eat out of my hand at only a few months old and are a medium sized tortoise. Not to take it off on a tangent with the Russians and box, they are all good specious, but I would definitely recommend getting a hatchling or a rescue of some sort and all the specious are good food for thought. They may take a little more work then what you would pick up at a pet store, but the reward far surpasses it all. Hope you find one that will fit you and your niece!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
IMHO russians are one of the best starter tortoises out there. They are very hardy, they eat good, they have great personalities, and they stay small. Downsides, they are terrific escape artists. Anyone wanting to get their first tortoise I would def. recommend a russian, box turtles are great but they are harder to take care of, once again IMHO.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Far as I know, Russians are not typical carriers of CHV, they are even very fragile when infected. Contaminations take place in importers/wholesalers quarters, where species from various places are housed together... I have heared about some tropical species from Africa, and about African Graecas as well to be the origin of outbreaks.
Of course, you never know, but CHV usually kills very quick.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
CactusVinnie said:
They are the best choice for you in Manitoba. If an abundance of weeds, they are quite ok with the short warm season there, since in habitat they spend only about 3 months above, gorging, fattening, laying eggs. The extreme places where is found are not unlike Manitob after all- central Kazakhstan. Be careful about rain protection, they cannot take cold rain; spring and autumn are critical.
Yeah, take a Canadian citizenship one :)... wildcaught adapt harder, and imports are severely depleting their numbers. Not much captive-bred there, as it is always easier to poach... until total depletion, in some places.

Ok thanks forthe suggestion with my climate

Status
Not open for further replies.