eastern box turtles inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I acquired some eastern box turtles in early summer and have had them in an outdoor enclosure, I don't plan on letting them hibernate out doors this winter, and wonder when I should bring them in for the winter? It has been really hot in IL all summer and in the last few days it has changed getting in the upper 60s during the day and upper 50 by morning. They are still acting like they have all summer and eating well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it gets cold enough that they stop eating, then its time to bring them in.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You might have another month to go. Most of mine are still active when it's in the 50's and warm.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
ok thanks for information, I have been feeding them cut up tomatoes squash, mushrooms,carrots,peaches and adding mazuri tortoise chow and Purina turtle pellets soaked, also night crawlers, I feed every other day switching from night crawlers to the mixture I listed. should I keep on the same feeding schedule or try to feed more before they come in for the winter. I have read of vitamin A deficiency in captive box turtles should I be adding Vitamin A drops to there food, can they get to much or would vitiam A pass thru ther system?

M

Maggie Cummings

I would add some melons, and berries. You can add crickets and mealworms too. When you bring them in get a UVB light and feed them more of a variety and they should be fine. I have never added Vit A to mine but I feed them a wide variety of stuff...

Read up on them for a better menu...

http://aboxturtle.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.