Eastern Box Turtle

meldridge

5 Year Member
My almost 4 year old tortoise doesn't like to eat anything but aquatic turtle balls. I've tried introducing her to a variety of foods, fruits and veggies., but she's stubborn. How do I incorporate these so that she has a healthier balanced diet?

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Is it a tortoise, box turtle, terrapin? What exactly do you have? Pics would help and a pic of your enclosure.

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
Looks like she has some pyramiding going on in that picture. How high are your humidity levels?
I have a 3toed that is refusing to eat anything other than night crawlers. I'm still having a hard time with her but what I'm doing is making a mash out of a couple pieces of fruit (cantaloupe, zucchini) and veggies (parsley, collard greens) then taking a night crawler, cutting it up into many pieces but big enough to still wiggle a lot, and mixing it together. As she goes for the pieces of night crawler, she eats a bit of the mash. I'm hoping after some time she'll either get used to or enjoy the mash, so then I can start offering her only the mash, then the fruits and veggies only cut up instead of mashed.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Does she/he eat live foods? Cause then you can try the above idea. If not, mine loves blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, any berries really for fruit. In the wild they are more likely to eat berries than other fruit.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Quit feeding her the pellets all together for now. Change your feeding pattern. Continue to offer a varied diet. Sometimes misting or spraying the enclosure to mimic rain can entice her to eat. During and after rains are foraging times. Be patient when she gets hungry she will eat. I agree with the berries.