Eastern Box... Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Lovemyboxies said:
I have soaked baby boxies in Pedealite (that stuff you give children when they are sick and need to be hydrated) when they wouldn't eat. Just a suggestion.

Duly noted. Thanks for the suggestion. :) I'll give the Pedialyte a shot if the baby food soaks don't help.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
She ate!!!

Good news!! This morning I offered a few butterworms over a leaf of red romaine... And she decided the butterworms are food! She ate at least one, probably two.. She didn't touch the romaine, but, hey, at least she ate something! :D Hopefully this whole fasting thing was just acclimation stress and she'll start eating normally!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Good to hear! I take in boxies all the time, and they rarely eat right away. It takes a while for them to get acclimated to their new environment. Mine rarely eat greens as well. I have to chop them up and mix them in with the rest of their food. Keep feeding her the butterworms and she'll start eating other buggy things. Check out Tess's site boxturtlesite.info (I think that's it.) It's the best out there. I have been following her advice with 50% protein, 30% veggies, 10% greens and 10% fruit and have healthy reproducing box turtles. I use a little cod liver oil once a week, calcium once a week, and TNT with fruit once a week to cover all bases, and of course I keep a cuttlbone in their enclosures at all time, even though I have never seen one of my adult boxies chew it - just the babies. Good luck and thank you for rescuing this little one! She's a lucky little turtle! :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks for the input, Kimber, and for the link! I'm so glad to hear her refusal to eat is relatively normal... She was really starting to scare me there--going on a full week without food! :)

Now that she's eating, she needs a name... Any ideas?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Geeze, what a turn-around! This morning, she slurped up 4 butterworms without hesitation... Since those were the last of the butterworms, I offered her a small dubia roach nymph (on tongs, since I think they're a bit too fast for her right now), and she took it! :D That was just a minute ago--I'm going to try offering her a couple more of the smaller nymphs and part of a ripe strawberry now. :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
She still wasn't interested in the strawberry, but she took a total of 5 roach nymphs of varying sizes after my last post. Looks like she has a pretty good appetite--now I just have to convince her plant matter is yummy, too... lol. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.