E.J. Pirog Tortoise Books :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
I read 2 of E.J. Pirog's books. 1 on Leopard/Sulcata tortoises. And 1 on Russian tortoises (with a lot on the Testudo species) and I thought they were very informative and very good. They were GREAT for beginners and I would HIGHLY recommend them. They pretty much cover everything from Diet-Health Care- Husbandry-Breeding. I wouldn't recommend it for any tortoise keepers/breeders who are already experienced in housing and breeding and all that. But if not, a very good book :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
GBtortoises said:
I have not read the Leopard/Sulcata book but I have read the Russian tortoise book and would not recommend it to beginners.

Really? Why not?

TortoiseBoy1999 said:
I read 2 of E.J. Pirog's books. 1 on Leopard/Sulcata tortoises. And 1 on Russian tortoises (with a lot on the Testudo species) and I thought they were very informative and very good. They were GREAT for beginners and I would HIGHLY recommend them. They pretty much cover everything from Diet-Health Care- Husbandry-Breeding. I wouldn't recommend it for any tortoise keepers/breeders who are already experienced in housing and breeding and all that. But if not, a very good book :)

Oh yes I forgot to say. The only thing I didn't like was that he said sand is a good substrate. And he said that if you want them to grow extra fast, you keep them "wet"/humid and warm. Which you should do no matter what. (that was in the Leopard/Sulcata book)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
GBtortoises said:
I have not read the Leopard/Sulcata book but I have read the Russian tortoise book and would not recommend it to beginners.

Really? Why not?

TortoiseBoy1999 said:

Oh yes I forgot to say. The only thing I didn't like was that he said sand is a good substrate. And he said that if you want them to grow extra fast, you keep them "wet"/humid and warm. Which you should do no matter what. (that was in the Leopard/Sulcata book)

I don't have the book in front of me (it's home and I'm not), so I cannot point out specifics right now, but it has enough informational inconsistencies and some ideas that are downright purely personal viewpoints that don't necessarily agree with accepted tortoise keeping in general to make it not good for beginners. As I recall there are several mis-labeled photos and other side bars. As well as the information wandering around from Russians, into other species and then back to Russians again which in some cases makes it unclear to the reader which species the information is meant for. The general overall book is written in typical sloppy T.F.H. publishing fashion.

I have not picked the book up in probably a year and half, but read it thoroughly 2-3 times when I first got it. Basically wrote it off then as pet shop quality. Unfortunately, that is where books like this sell the most, in pet shops, where one would want better information.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
GBtortoises said:
I don't have the book in front of me (it's home and I'm not), so I cannot point out specifics right now, but it has enough informational inconsistencies and some ideas that are downright purely personal viewpoints that don't necessarily agree with accepted tortoise keeping in general to make it not good for beginners. As I recall there are several mis-labeled photos and other side bars. As well as the information wandering around from Russians, into other species and then back to Russians again which in some cases makes it unclear to the reader which species the information is meant for. The general overall book is written in typical sloppy T.F.H. publishing fashion.

I have not picked the book up in probably a year and half, but read it thoroughly 2-3 times when I first got it. Basically wrote it off then as pet shop quality. Unfortunately, that is where books like this sell the most, in pet shops, where one would want better information.

Well personally I think it had good information. I did think it wondered off into other Testudo species in the Russian book a little to much, but it did tell you when that information was meant for other species. I think overall it was a good book :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I like his books for what they are and do not ask more of them than what they provide. They are decent in general. I do not have to agree with everything in every book.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GBtortoises said:

Must agree w/ GB...he explained pretty much my view on the book. There are much better tortoise books out there for only a little more $$$, and these are considerably better written.

I like Popular Tortoises (Advanced Vivarium Systems) by Philippe De Vosjoli, Tortoises and Box Turtles Complete Owner's Manual by Hartmut Wilke, and (a bit pricier), Naturalistic keeping and breeding of Hermann's Tortoises by Wolfgang Wegehaupt.

In Pirog's defense, it's possible that someone unknowledgable edited it so poorly, but it's still Pirog's name on the cover. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.