Durango (CO) Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
I'm planning to spend a week in Durango and the area. My reason for the trip is to finally see Mesa Verde. I will also visit Canyons of the Ancients and the ruins at Chimney Rock. My sweetie will be taking his bike and doing training rides in the area as well, getting ready for a 70 mile race at the end of July.

I was wondering if there are other things I should see while I'm there? Anything tortoise-ish in the area? Any other points of interest? I took some anthropology classes when I first started college years ago and have always wanted to see the Anasazi sites. Been a teacher for 18 years, all those summers off, and for many reasons have not done this trip before. This is a beginning!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hi Edna,

I love that region! My wife and I loved Mesa Verde in southwestern Colorado so much, that we later went to northwestern New Mexico to visit Chaco Culture National Historic Park. Like Mesa Verde, it is an ancestral Pueblo ruin, but it's different. Mesa Verde is very scenic, but it's largest ruin housed an estimated 70 people. Chaco Canyon may be simpler geologically, but its ruins are much bigger, with Pueblo Bonito having housed perhaps 3,000 people. It's really an amazing place. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
No suggestions, but have a heck of a great time and take lots of pictures to share with us!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Jacqui said:
No suggestions, but have a heck of a great time and take lots of pictures to share with us!

I'm really good at the taking pictures part, just not so hot at the sharing part. I'll try harder!

GeoTerraTestudo said:
Hi Edna,

I love that region! My wife and I loved Mesa Verde in southwestern Colorado so much, that we later went to northwestern New Mexico to visit Chaco Culture National Historic Park. Like Mesa Verde, it is an ancestral Pueblo ruin, but it's different. Mesa Verde is very scenic, but it's largest ruin housed an estimated 70 people. Chaco Canyon may be simpler geologically, but its ruins are much bigger, with Pueblo Bonito having housed perhaps 3,000 people. It's really an amazing place. :)

Maybe next year we'll get to Chaco. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm really pretty much a hermit, and hate to travel, but there are a few places I'd love to see. The old indian cliff dwellings are high up on my list, along with the mountain carving in South Dakota of Chief Black Hawk.

Have a wonderful trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.