London bound, suggestions welcomed!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Today I leave LA for a one-week business trip to London. Sadly I'll be hubster-less and tort-less, but happily I plan to have some adventurers, as I haven't been to London since I was a kid 25 years ago.

Any suggestions on dining, sights, etc are more than welcome. Looks like it'll be cool and rainy. Spent the last day trying to find rain boots in LA. No dice. So if any of our UK members can tell me where to buy some that aren't too expensive, that'd be great.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I've never been, sounds like a great trip and a good opportunity your business have you. Have fun be safe. I'm sure others will chime in on hot spots in london

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My post would have said the same as Millerlite, with this added. Try to make the guardsmen at Buckingham Palace smile or laugh, everyone seems to try it:D
Have a great time. Make sure is not all business.:)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Don't know how flexible your trip will be, but I would try and get out of London one of the days and visit some of the countryside in places such as Surrey and the New Forest. Oh and you could come our way and visit Stonehenge. In London I would visit the London Eye, Zoo, Boat on the Thames, loads of art exhibitions, etc. there is quite a lot to do, but I would stay in the tourist area as some of the suburbs around London are not great to visit.
There'll be loads of shops selling weatherproof stuff, most camping/outdoor shops will have them.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Camden market is good for bargains if you don't mind some hustle, It's got some lovely craft stalls if you go right along to the old stables (can't remember the name of it). The zoo is good too :)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm staying in Kensington, but do have plans to get out to the countryside. I'll be in Oxfordshire, Leavesden and somewhere out east that I've never heard of, all for work.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
What size rainboots? I have a pair up on CL right now lol.
No suggestions for London from me...sorry. Never been :shy:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh wow. Your trip will be super awesome. I trust pictures to share will appear on TFO when you get back.
Rain boots? What about wellies? Everyone in England wears them, I believe. I love mine which I wear here in SoCal, gardening. They are made by Hunter, and others. You may find a great deal on them there so probably good you did not get them here and carried them over.
Wish I was you. Or going with you! Have great fun! : )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a suggestion. Go somewhere warmer. :p

If an area doesn't have good tortoise weather, I'm not too interested. :D

leaf2002

5 Year Member
Definitely go to the London eye it gives a great view from the top. Don't forget your camera! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well okay. That will be a bright spot in an otherwise drab and dreary trip. :p

Okay, maybe cold and clammy would be a better description...

I'm just kidding. I hope you have a great trip!

I once saw a t-shirt that said "Britain... it's not that great."
I nearly fell down laughing, but NONE of my British friends have found it the least bit funny so far.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Just to point out, the weather here is even more rainy than usual at the moment-so extremely rainy compared to California. Even us lot are moaning about it.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I disagree, Tom. It IS that great. And the rain is a lovely change of pace for a Cali girl.ImageUploadedByTortForum1382390210.679696.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
FLINTUS said:
Just to point out, the weather here is even more rainy than usual at the moment-so extremely rainy compared to California. Even us lot are moaning about it.

But we love nothing better than complaining about the weather!

I would also suggest the aquarium and the V and A, science museum and natural history museum!

My mum is from London, I always hated going in the summer as it was too hot!