Duke really likes clover..

Status
Not open for further replies.

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
... or whatever this clover-type weed is. I put it at the entrance of his man cave, where he was holed up, and he came out within minutes to eat it. It's nice to be able to find food for him in the back yard. Much easier than getting food for my snakes.

Thanks,
Ed

IMG_5899.jpg

IMG_5901.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ed:

Are you picking that weed for him, or is it growing in his habitat? At any rate, I think its oxalis. It shouldn't be fed too often or too much, but part of a varied diet is ok. Its high in oxalic acid.

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone!

Yvonne, thanks for the tip. Don't worry too much, it's not a big part of his diet, this is just the second time I've given it to him. It's not growing in his pen. One of the reasons I post a lot of pics is to get feedback and to educate myself, so thanks for letting me know. I looked up oxalis, and I think you are correct.

Ed

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree with Yvonne, it is oxalis. If you can get your hands on some wildlife food plot mix seed, it should have a lot of different clovers in it. You can broadcast it right in his pen ;)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i got a pasture mix with clover in it at my local nursery.. some feed stores might carry it too.
taste it.. is it sour?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I think Yvonne is correct. That looks a lot like Oxalis stricta a.k.a. Wood Sorrel, Sour Clover, Pickle plant, etc.

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
Thanks all. Yvonne is correct, I looked up pictures of Oxalis for comparison. I just ordered some Russian Tortoise Seed Mix to plant in his pen. Also ordered some dandelion seeds, since he loves dandelions.

I can't wait to tell my wife I'm going to grow dandelions in our garden. I'm sure her reaction will be priceless. :)

Thanks,
Ed

Jill Gatwood

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
Found it right after I asked.... thanks for the quick response, though. Hey, I have some white Dutch clover seeds. Thinking of growing some. Would those be okay as an occasional treat? I'm going to order dandelions, too. Isn't it funny how neighbors who don't want dandelions are plagued by them in their yard and people who want them have to *buy* them?

Status
Not open for further replies.