Dream Come True

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianfurtado

5 Year Member
Hello Everybody.

I have just purchased my first Tort, a 4 year old Greek female (about the size of a softball cut in half). I named her Chloe. She's beautiful! I am almost 30 and have been wanting a Tort since I was 7 or 8 years old but my parents and then budget (university student) didn't allow it.

I picked her up from a local breeder/enthusiast who also has a great Exotic Pet Store called The Vivarium in LaSalle Ontario Canada. It is honestly the only pet shop I've every been too that didn't smell like a pet shop. Very organized and clean facility run by true enthusiasts.

Anywhoo, Chloe is a very healthy (from what I gather) little girl. She's got no signs of deformity or pyramiding. I feed her the same diet that was recommended to me by her breeder, which is a mix of dark leafy greens like Romaine, Dandelions, Collard, and some kale. I'll throw in a few little pieces of melon or de-seeded tomato once a month as a treat. I have a cuttlebone in her enclosure to see if she'll take to that and if not, I plan to dust ~3 meals a week with some Repti-cal. Her feces is neither hard, nor runny... and she's urinating normally. All in all, her adjustment has been more or less smooth. She borrows every now and again.

The basking portion of her enclosure is around 90-95 and the cool end is mid 75-80... And she has a hide as well. I put water in a soaking dish every other day.

I know nothing in this hobby is an exact science, per se, so I really appreciate the advice I've received from both this forum and from the guys at Vivarium.

Any other advice is more than welcomed!

Thanks people!

Attachments

• DSCF2956.JPG
    DSCF2956.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 59

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Oh, her shell is beautiful! Her legs look very strong and sturdy. BUT a face shot would be nice too! ;)

Congratulations on your Chelonian addition, and welcome to the forum! :D

brianfurtado

5 Year Member
Here's a pic of her cute little face...

Attachments

• Chloe.jpg
    Chloe.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 36

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brian:

336444xb8u2ivj05.gif

to the forum!!

Your tortoise is beautiful! If you are unaware of her subspecies, there are folks here who can i.d. her for you. They'll need to see a good plastron shot plus a good carapace shot (both from up above and looking straight down)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome and congratulations. She looks beautiful. Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on everything.

I'd go just a little warmer on the basking site. Maybe 5-10 degrees, but only in that one spot.
I also like as much variety as possible in the diet. How about some occasional spineless opuntia, mazuri or some weeds in the spring time?
Lastly, sunshine is really good for them, as soon as it warms up, up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.