Our tortoise is at least 60 years old

Ninapyoung

Location (City and/or State)
SOUTHAM
In 1976 my Mum spotted a growntortoise in the pet shop with a broken shell. So she went in and bought her. Her name is Chips. She's a greek thigh spurred tortoise. Over the past 42 years she's lived with my parents my grandparents or me depending on where we were. We hibernate her the way we always did. She will only eat iceberg lettuce, white cabbage, sweetheart cabbage, baby gem, some clover, dandelions but not tomatoes fruit etc.
I have recently bought a uvb lamp figuring she's getting old and needs a bit more help. And I'm doing lots of research. I'm desperate to keep her healthy and happy. She's been in my life since I was 2!.
What else can I do?
She has some small holes in her shell and I'm worried its rot. I don't know if it's been there for years to be honest.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a pic of her shell concerns and we can help ID if it's a problem.
I would try to improve her diet. Although she has lasted a long time on that diet, it's not the best.
Congrats on the long life with her so far.

Ninapyoung

SOUTHAM
In 1976 my Mum spotted a growntortoise in the pet shop with a broken shell. So she went in and bought her. Her name is Chips. She's a greek thigh spurred tortoise. Over the past 42 years she's lived with my parents my grandparents or me depending on where we were. We hibernate her the way we always did. She will only eat iceberg lettuce, white cabbage, sweetheart cabbage, baby gem, some clover, dandelions but not tomatoes fruit etc.
I have recently bought a uvb lamp figuring she's getting old and needs a bit more help. And I'm doing lots of research. I'm desperate to keep her healthy and happy. She's been in my life since I was 2!.
What else can I do?
She has some small holes in her shell and I'm worried its rot. I don't know if it's been there for years to be honest.

IMG-20200210-WA0001.jpgIMG-20200210-WA0000.jpgIMG-20200210-WA0002.jpg
Post a pic of her shell concerns and we can help ID if it's a problem.
I would try to improve her diet. Although she has lasted a long time on that diet, it's not the best.
Congrats on the long life with her so far.

IMG-20200210-WA0001.jpgIMG-20200210-WA0000.jpgIMG-20200210-WA0002.jpgIMG-20200210-WA0001.jpgIMG-20200210-WA0000.jpgIMG-20200210-WA0002.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I can see them. You will soon get some more expert help here! Her diet needs improvement for sure. Congrats on keeping her for so long!!! She is a darling.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard too see but what I can see doesnt look normal. I would clean them up with a soft tooth brush and some warm water. Don't scrub hard. Then I would put some over the counter antifungal cream on them. Do this for a week and change too antibiotic cream if no improvement or things look worse. If after the week it looks to be improving continue until all cleared up.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, great job raising your tort.
Hopefully what Wellington has suggested will work.

Ninapyoung

SOUTHAM
Thankyou all of you. I'll give it a go and hopefully chips will start to look normal. So sad she doesn't look it.
I have some vitamins on order too.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thankyou all of you. I'll give it a go and hopefully chips will start to look normal. So sad she doesn't look it.
I have some vitamins on order too.
Forgot to say I love the name! Have you tried a tortoise diet pellets?
It is called Mazuri here. I can't remember what name it's sold under on your side of the pond.

Ninapyoung

SOUTHAM
Nope never heard of it. I'll google! Mum named her due to her damaged shell. When she lived with my grandparents they found another tortoise wandering around the village and named her egg. Egg ended up being a boy.. we always thought chips was a boy but our vet friend let us know she's a girl lol.. about 25 years calling chips a boy hahaha

Ninapyoung

SOUTHAM
Forgot to say I love the name! Have you tried a tortoise diet pellets?
It is called Mazuri here. I can't remember what name it's sold under on your side of the pond.
Found mazuri - amazon prime deliver tomorrow, hope she will eat it!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Nope never heard of it. I'll google! Mum named her due to her damaged shell. When she lived with my grandparents they found another tortoise wandering around the village and named her egg. Egg ended up being a boy.. we always thought chips was a boy but our vet friend let us know she's a girl lol.. about 25 years calling chips a boy hahaha
I am looking back on my threads trying to find the name of the pellets. My sulcata exposed himself the other day. He is 2 1/2yrs old. His name is Opo so I guess the name fits.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Found mazuri - amazon prime deliver tomorrow, hope she will eat it!
Great! Do you know if it is the 5m21 type or the LS type? If Chip will eat it. It will provide the vitamins needed.