Newbie needs advice !

Status
Not open for further replies.

benkajucla

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northampton
IMG_0223[1].JPG
I recently rescued this little lady (well I think she's a lady !) from an idiot family who left her alone in a room with their bulldog. She was consequently savaged and has a crack in her shell where he grabbed her and shook her. I asked if they would let me buy her and they agreed (at a price) because they couldn't really be bothered with her anyway. According to them she was 'boring' !!!!! Anyway, I want to make sure I do everything right for her so any advice would be greatly appreciated. ie: what species is she, should she be kept in her vivarium, what are the best foods for her etc?

many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

expo tort

5 Year Member
That is a hermanns tortoise. Go to species specific and then to Mediterranean and then to hermanns. Go to the stickies then scroll to Hermann tortoise caresheet there you will get some very good info. You MUST read the whole caresheet. Hermanns are a personable type of tort you love to have. Also "she" exhibits pyramiding. To get good info on how to correct this go to your search bar on the first page and type in "pyramiding". I'm usually not a good judge of this but I'm pretty sure that the pyramiding cannot be fixed, but it does look like your tort doesn't have MBD. Does it have any soft spots anywhere on the shell. And does it eat , drink, and poo often. Also sunshine lots and lots and lots of sunshine with a big does of TLC and this tort should live a happy life. Oh yeah the crack. I'll leave that to the other guys. As I dont really see wounded torts that often. Any questions pm hermanni Chris. He knows everything about hermanns and I mean pretty much everything. Tom is good with pyramiding help so pm him for that. And... I can't think of anyone else. Few things MBD incase you didn't know is metabolic bone disease. Oh yeah Toms good with MBD too. One last question. Can we get some more pics of your tort because us being able to see the damage is very important for us to asses the damage. Welcome to TFO and remember we love pics. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME. Great job on getting her/him away from the abusers. After you do the advice of expo tort, let us know if you have any more questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi benkajukla:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Thank goodness you were able to rescue this poor little Hermann's tortoise from that other life. She's a very pretty tortoise. If you'll show us a shot of her tail and underside, we can tell you if she's male or female.

Here's a link to the care sheet expo tort was telling you about:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hermann-s-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz1zTPArUt1

What would you like us to call you?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
That's just negligence. :(

Tortoises are fascinating, and very social! Hardly boring.

I'm glad to see your Hermann's is now in a good home. You've certainly come to the right place for information.

As mentioned, if you take some pictures of his/her underside and tail, we can tell you her/his gender! Also, do research on Pyramiding and how to treat it. Typical sign of a tort that did not receive proper care.

Status
Not open for further replies.