DRAGONS FOUND IN INDONESIA!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
DO YOU LIKE DRAGONS?? IF SO, READ THIS THREAD!!

Here is the link to a website with the story on how they were discovered:
http://the-auditorium.com/blog/2012/03/06/dragons-discovered-in-indonesia/

I'll summarize it below if you don't feel like reading the whole thing:
There was a farmer who moved his cattle ranch closer to a protected animal habitat in Indonesia. After a little while, some of them went missing so he called some people to investigate the area and try to find the cattle. Well, they discovered that the cows weren't removed by land, but by air. The strange thing was that it wasn't possible for helicopters to airlift them out. So, what was happening? Scientists investigated the area and discovered baby dragon eggs:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373326787.378956.jpg
Some of the dragons are now undergoing observation by scientists in their natural habitat.

Here's some more links to other websites:
http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/s...le/812430/mini_dragon_found_in_indonesia.html
http://www.amazfacts.com/2011/11/real-life-dragon-found-in-indonesia.html
http://www.walltowatch.com/view/7915/A+Tiny+Dragon+Found+in+Indonesia

More pictures:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373327183.081709.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373327191.512214.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373327259.345734.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373327264.717193.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373327278.296781.jpg

And... Your opinions...?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have long thought that some of the weirder animals alive today are actually evolved dinosaurs that didn't become extinct in the big dinosaur die off. Rhino, for example. Elephant. The bigger lizards. And now we find dragons!!! Wonder how big they get?

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
It said that they get three times their size in one or two months!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Draco sp. These lizards have been known for years. Linneaus gave them the genus name of Draco after legendary dragons. They extended ribs that allow them to glide from tree to tree.

Vickie

5 Year Member
Sadly I believe you are correct and remember seeing these in some books I got for the boys for home schooling. It would have been awful cool if they had found real dragons! I still say there are a lot of supposed extinct animals that are not as well as animals they left in the legendary statues that very well could be real.

Itort said:
Draco sp. These lizards have been known for years. Linneaus gave them the genus name of Draco after legendary dragons. They extended ribs that allow them to glide from tree to tree.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yvonne G said:
I have long thought that some of the weirder animals alive today are actually evolved dinosaurs that didn't become extinct in the big dinosaur die off. Rhino, for example. Elephant. The bigger lizards. And now we find dragons!!! Wonder how big they get?

The only remaining dinosaurs are the birds, with crocodilians being their next of kin. Rhinos are related to horses, elephants are related to hyrax and manatees, and lizards are related to snakes. As Itort said, Draco species have been known for a long time. They are true lizards, and they are very cool. :)

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Well there is also the Tuatara they are a lizard thats not a lizard...In fact they are a species of reptiles with no living relatives.
As for these vietnamese flying lizards I think they get to be about 8in long and they can be kept as pets if anyone would like a flying but not fire-breathing lizard.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Thalatte said:
Well there is also the Tuatara they are a lizard thats not a lizard...In fact they are a species of reptiles with no living relatives.

That's right, tuataras look like lizards, but they're not. They're only distantly related to snakes and lizards.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Aaaaaaawwwww! Now I feel bad... Well, at least I have the closest thing to a Tyrannosaurus rex that's living today. Dinosaur experts, you know what I'm talking about

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Yvonne G said:

The only remaining dinosaurs are the birds, with crocodilians being their next of kin. Rhinos are related to horses, elephants are related to hyrax and manatees, and lizards are related to snakes. As Itort said, Draco species have been known for a long time. They are true lizards, and they are very cool. :)

Maybe...while I never saw one in the flesh, there is something in the vicinity of the Democratic Republic of Congo (which, during my time in the Peace Corps was called Zaire) that leaves huge footprints and bellows in the night, and the folks who live there, and know the indigenous wildlife intimately, called them Mokele-mbembe and say they look like a picture of a diplodocus from a book I had, but somewhat smaller...

Also, this was carved hundreds of years ago on the wall of a temple in Cambodia:

tracks-cambodia-stegasarus.jpg

Sure looks a bit like a Stegosaurus...

There may well be a few new mysteries yet to consider! :cool:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Terry Allan Hall said:
Maybe...while I never saw one in the flesh, there is something in the vicinity of the Democratic Republic of Congo (which, during my time in the Peace Corps was called Zaire) that leaves huge footprints and bellows in the night, and the folks who live there, and know the indigenous wildlife intimately, called them Mokele-mbembe and say they look like a picture of a diplodocus from a book I had, but somewhat smaller...

Also, this was carved hundreds of years ago on the wall of a temple in Cambodia:

Legends such as Mokele-Mbembe, Mapinguari, and Ogopogo are certainly interesting to ponder. Who knows? Maybe they do reflect a time when humans saw prehistoric animals with their own eyes. Alternatively, they could just be examples of "folk paleontology," with people finding fossilized bones and imagining what the animals they belonged to look like.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Legends such as Mokele-Mbembe, Mapinguari, and Ogopogo are certainly interesting to ponder. Who knows? Maybe they do reflect a time when humans saw prehistoric animals with their own eyes. Alternatively, they could just be examples of "folk paleontology," with people finding fossilized bones and imagining what the animals they belonged to look like.

Or we could assume that the folks who live there are telling us the truth, as has been proved repeatedly about creatures that couldn't possibly exist (sayeth scientists of the time...)

Things like a hairy man-like beast in certain mountains of Africa...scientists at that time decided that they couldn't possibly exist...until someone brought back a skin and a couple of skulls, and later someone else brought back a live Mountain gorilla (Gorilla beringei beringei).

images

Another example was a giant lizard on some islands in the Indian Ocean that chased down deer and horses and, again, scientists at that time decided couldn't possibly exist...until someone brought back a few alive, and now we all know these as Varanus komodoensis or the Komodo Dragon.

what-komodo-dragons-eat.jpg

Yet another is an African fish that all paleontologists "knew" became extinct millions of years ago...until a VERY surprised ichthyologist bought a freshly caught example from a fish vender in a native market, in 1938...

559px-Coelacanth1.JPG

There are many more examples of creatures that "can't possibly exist, are just legends and mythology", but now reside in our zoos...

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Terry Allan Hall said:
Or we could assume that the folks who live there are telling us the truth, as has been proved repeatedly about creatures that couldn't possibly exist (sayeth scientists of the time...)

Things like a hairy man-like beast in certain mountains of Africa...scientists at that time decided that they couldn't possibly exist...until someone brought back a skin and a couple of skulls, and later someone else brought back a live Mountain gorilla (Gorilla beringei beringei).

Another example was a giant lizard on some islands in the Indian Ocean that chased down deer and horses and, again, scientists at that time decided couldn't possibly exist...until someone brought back a few alive, and now we all know these as Varanus komodoensis or the Komodo Dragon.

Yet another is an African fish that all paleontologists "knew" became extinct millions of years ago...until a VERY surprised ichthyologist bought a freshly caught example from a fish vender in a native market, in 1938...

There are many more examples of creatures that "can't possibly exist, are just legends and mythology", but now reside in our zoos...

Now we're getting into cryptozoology, which is a fascinating pseudoscience that speculates about how extinct or extant animals may be the source behind legendary creatures. As you say, gorillas, Komodo dragons, and coelocanths were thought to be fictional or long gone, and sure enough, here they are. Ditto for okapis, giant squid, eagle-owls, and giant softshell turtles. All of that is great, but lets look at examples that don't hold up.

Bigfoot - There's simply no reliable evidence that any bipedal apes other than humans have ever been established in North America.
Yeti - If other hominids besides humans have ever lived at altitude in Asia, then there's no good evidence that they're still there.
Loch Ness Monster - Research indicates that even if plesiosaurs were still around, Loch Ness could not support them.

The only dinosaurs humans have ever lived with are birds. All the other ones died many millions of years before the first apes ever evolved. That bas relief figure in Cambodia may be a bit reminiscent of a stegosaur, but it's probably just supposed to be a bovine or rhino with decorations on its back.

Team Gomberg said:
.....a cool link about where the word Dragon and Dinosaur came from :) http://www.forbidden-history.com/dinosaurfacts-owen.html

But I guess the question remains... what did eat those cows? :D

The Chinese use the word "lung" to refer both to mythical dragons and prehistoric dinosaurs. Indeed, the myth of the dragon probably comes partly from the fossil bones of dinosaurs and other prehistorical animals, as well as living crocodilians, lizards, and fish.

But again, other than birds, humans have never lived alongside dinosaurs.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I don't believe in the theory of evolution, dinosaurs millions of years ago and man coming from monkey.
I like science, what can be observed and tested. What's really cool is how much science shows evidence for intelligent design :)

So I will kindly disagree with your last assumption.

Sent from my TortForum mobile app

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Team Gomberg said:
I don't believe in the theory of evolution, dinosaurs millions of years ago and man coming from monkey.
I like science, what can be observed and tested. What's really cool is how much science shows evidence for intelligent design :)

So I will kindly disagree with your last assumption.

Ugh, another one. :rolleyes:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I bet we would both agree that is one cool looking lizard :)

I especially like seeing the pictures in the people's hands with their wings spread.

Sent from my VS840 4G using TortForum mobile app

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Anyone trying to dispute man walking with dinosaurs has yet to meet my ex. Nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.