Dont wanna jinx it.... But....

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
I found a female Russian CB for sale in Toronto!!
Been a long search, soo happy, I hope all goes well tomorrow.
0362k0a_20.jpeg

She looks truly cb am I right?
She is being sold as 6" SCL
I get it tomorrow, soo excited!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
RE: Dont w2anna jinx it.... But....

Congrats! Are her eyes a little puffy?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

gratz but make sure she is a she .

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member

She is 100% female, unless I know nothing about Russians :)
Her eyes in the pic were something I was worried about, they look a little small, but wide and clear today, I have teramycin if I feel they are not tomorrow or whatever.

How does her shell look? It is no where near as 'pretty' as my guys(not that I really care).
But she has one 'ring' that is pailer then the rest, and 'bubbles' out slightly. You can see it where the side scutes meet the main scutes.
What causes this, I do not need to worry about it do I?
I saw the cage she came from, she was on bark which was moistened, but no water bowl(I soaked her when I got home)
She aate mostly lettuces and spring mix, with some peppers and zuchinnis, a few other vegs.
Was under a 10.0 UVB strip bulb.
3x2ft tort table. Was sold because owner did not have room for a bigger cage and she needs it.

Under my care she is in soil/coir with a water bowl, spring mix staple with weekly fresh greens from the produce section.
I have her in a 6x2ft table.

She is 6.1" SCL
In a few months after a vet visit I am going to cut a hole between the 2 cages to make it a big O if you will(cut a hole at either end of the cages).
That is a suitable size for a 1.1 right?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

You may get other views, but to my eye she does not look CB, her shell looks worn to me. but gratz either way I am glad she is 100% woman.

-ryan-

5 Year Member

Yeah, I would also really question that this is an actual CB russian, however it is extremely difficult to find adult CB russians, so long-term captives are usually the best you can expect when looking for specific sexes. Three of my four female russians are WC (long-term though... one had been in the country almost a decade before I bought her). The other one I hatched myself.

However, the important thing is that she is healthy, so just look her over very well and watch her for a couple months to make sure she is healthy.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member

-ryan- said:
Yeah, I would also really question that this is an actual CB russian, however it is extremely difficult to find adult CB russians, so long-term captives are usually the best you can expect when looking for specific sexes. Three of my four female russians are WC (long-term though... one had been in the country almost a decade before I bought her). The other one I hatched myself.

However, the important thing is that she is healthy, so just look her over very well and watch her for a couple months to make sure she is healthy.

The previous owner bought her around 3" SCL 4 years ago.
If this is accurate, about what age does that put her?

It is interesting, in Canada it has been 100% illegal regardless of who you are to import torts of any kind since 1971, so by that measure, every tort in Canada under 40 years old should be CB, yet I have not seen one who is 100% confirmed CB.
I thought for about 10 minutes about the risks of illegal import, I assume that is how many of the ones in Canada got here.... *I intelligently decided having a new baby Russian was NOT worth what like 5 years in jail and $100,000 fine....

What does the pailer growth signify?

-ryan- said:

It will be hard to resist putting them together, but I know the risks, and after $400 on fixing my males eye, I can not afford to vetify 2 more torts, if I need to bring just one it will hurt the bank quite enough...

As for breeding, am I better off to wait a full year until early next spring to introduce them? Or in a few months if I introduce them what are my chances of mating?

*I am committed to breeding them CB and opening them up as pets in Ontario, I believe I would be the first in Ontario to breed Russians :)

Still looking for another adult female to create a trio :)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL

Looks CB to my non-expert eye :p I'm sure someone on here would be able to tell you for sure.
She's gorgeous! Congrats :)
That's wonderful that you're planning on breeding, and hopefully making tortoises more readily available in Canada!

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member

ChiKat said:
Looks CB to my non-expert eye :p I'm sure someone on here would be able to tell you for sure.
She's gorgeous! Congrats :)
That's wonderful that you're planning on breeding, and hopefully making tortoises more readily available in Canada!

My non-expert eye said CB too, not that I truly care...
I dunno bout gorgeous, but I am gonna treat her all the same :) her shell is a little worse for wear.

Here are some pics I took today, the one in the OP was the picture I bought her from.

these ones you can really see that pailer growth band around the small scutes connecting to the larger back ones.
P5200045.jpg

P5200034-1.jpg

P5200046.jpg

Here is a poor picture of her tail, even with the poor quality pic, it is pretty clearly a female I think.
P5200037.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

goodsmeagol said:
As for breeding, am I better off to wait a full year until early next spring to introduce them? Or in a few months if I introduce them what are my chances of mating?

*I am committed to breeding them CB and opening them up as pets in Ontario, I believe I would be the first in Ontario to breed Russians :)

My personal opinion is, I would wait til next year. Much like the advice to not hibernate any tortoise it's first winter with you, would be the waiting a year. I know it's much easier to say then to do, especially when you see the cute pictures of hatchlings posted in here. That year just gives you time to get her comfortable in her new home, for any health issues to become apparent and fixed, and more important to get her body into shape for the making of good, fertile eggs and laying them. That means having her on a good diet with the ability to get the calcium she wants. The better shape the parents, the better health and fertility I think you will see.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member

Jacqui said:
goodsmeagol said:

My personal opinion is, I would wait til next year. Much like the advice to not hibernate any tortoise it's first winter with you, would be the waiting a year. I know it's much easier to say then to do, especially when you see the cute pictures of hatchlings posted in here. That year just gives you time to get her comfortable in her new home, for any health issues to become apparent and fixed, and more important to get her body into shape for the making of good, fertile eggs and laying them. That means having her on a good diet with the ability to get the calcium she wants. The better shape the parents, the better health and fertility I think you will see.

And from what I understand, fertile eggs are some what rare as it is...?
If I am going to start a breeding colony and actually go forth with this breeding idea. I must do it right, or not do it at all. If I am to introduce CB babies to Ontario, I need them to be of good stock and such...
The real test will be keeping them separate in their cages for that time :)
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.