Questions : Quarantine/ Mixing Captive Bred with Wild Caught

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Good morning all,

Some day in the future, I want to possibly breed Russians. Thus, I've been entertaining the idea of adding a female Russian tortoise (CB would be nice, but I understand finding an adult female is rare). She would be added with my 6 year old CB male Russian. I'd keep them in different enclosures, and probably not put them in contact for a good time. That leads to my questions of how long should a new tortoise be "quarantined" for? And has any owner ran into problems with mixing CB and Wild Caught? Any other thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Best,

-Thomas

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Me personally, I would get a few hatchling Russians and raise a female. If you get four or more of them, you will most likely get a female. You may be able to acquire a healthy imported female, but either way, you will be waiting years. But if you get several hatchlings from a reputable breeder on the forum (Carol has some now, if I recall), you will eliminate the risk of transmitting illness.

T.G.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Me personally, I would get a few hatchling Russians and raise a female. If you get four or more of them, you will most likely get a female. You may be able to acquire a healthy imported female, but either way, you will be waiting years. But if you get several hatchlings from a reputable breeder on the forum (Carol has some now, if I recall), you will eliminate the risk of transmitting illness.

T.G.

Yes, I was thinking abut that. I already spoke with Carol and she has several hatchlings left.