Update on Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Hey all, Ted is doing well in his environment and eating well. I am going to modify his environment this spring to include basking rock etc (he just basks on the sub for now). I have a ceramic heater above his house and he occasionally basks on top of it. I am using a fluorescent UVB tube at the moment but have a 100 watt MV on order from Mega Ray. He is very social and comes when he hears our voices. For a rescue turtle, he has integrated into the family very quickly. He is fed an organic mix of greens dusted with calcium supliment from Costco, and we separated the different greens out and alternate what we give him for variety. There is a little bit of red cabbage in there and we give it to him occasionally as a treat. his favorite past time is digging a hole to nap in (right under the heat lamp).

I am looking forward to the new MV lamp as I have always been suspicious of fluorescent UVB lamps.

Oh, his enclosure is a little over a foot wide and 4 ft long I have the basking lamp at the far end of the enclosure, his home is at the other end. His hide is a half log with a cover on the opposite end for privacy and it is covered with sub to emulate a cave. Sub is organic compost, cf and fir chips all mixed. He is in a large fish tank and I left the colorful background (attached to the outside of the tank) so he has some visual stimulation. The glass does not bother him as he was raised in a tank less than a third of the size. Convection from the heat lamps keeps the tank ventilated.

I know the tank isn't optimal but due to space restrictions we are kind of stuck with what we have. I may be able to build a table this summer that is about 6 inches wider, but not much more. Any other ideas to keep Ted happy?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Glad he's settled in and doing well.

The red stuff in the Spring Mix is actually raddiccio. Not in the cabbage family and the tortoises love it.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
You can give him some more logs and rocks, or some Carex Appalachica grass to make his enclosure more interesting. Other than that, it sounds good.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine love hibiscus flowers, be careful though they are like tortoise crack.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds pretty good, but your substrate worries me. Cedar chips give off toxic fumes and I don't know what cf is. In an indoor glass enclosure, I'd worry about the cedar fumes building up too much. Don't get me wrong. I prefer tall glass tanks that restrict airflow. It keeps things warmer with less electricity and it helps keep some humidity in there. I just worry about the cedar. In a large, open, outdoor enclosure, I wouldn't even think about it.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Hey thanks for catching my faux pas on the Cedar, it is actually Reptibark Fir not Cedar, I will fix that in the OP. I was looking on line at some of the stores, but there is one that a lot of members swear by, and for the life of me I can't remember what it is. Help would be appreciated.

[Edit: I guess we are restricted from editing after 30 minutes of posting. Ah well...]

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
No, when we got Ted I was in emergency mode to get him a place to live so I relied on the folks at Petsmart, needless to say, although well meaning, they recommended this:
pPETS-3756835t400.jpg

Since then I have learned a lot about feed, subs, lighting, etc...

I spent a lot of time looking for the right forum to learn from and stumbled across this one. People have been very helpful and knowledgable
here, and even though I won't be on all the time, I hope as I learn, I can help others as well.

Oh BTW I will post images of his tank soon (when I can find the camera).

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
I still have the bag and it says 100% Fir, or are they the same? I am not much up on this stuff.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mean Guy said:
I still have the bag and it says 100% Fir, or are they the same? I am not much up on this stuff.

Fir is what its made from. "Orchid bark" is sort of the common name. People use it for planting their orchids and its made of bark, sooooo, "orchid" bark. SHould be totally safe. I've used it for many years on lots of different reptile species and never had a single problem.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Oh, lol. I am guessing then that an orchid is not a tree... ;)

[EDIT] Never mind, I looked it up on google, I guess it can be a tree but most orchids grown here are plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.