DOING THE TWIST

LDRANCH

Location (City and/or State)
Simi Valley, CA
Many times, when I scratch Charlie's backside, he swivels enthusiastically back and forth. I call it the tortoise shimmy - really cute. Has anyone else noticed this and what do you attribute it to?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We've always called this the Hootchy Kootchy dance. Funny how many different species of turtle and tortoise take on this same dance.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My one male leopard Tatum does it all the time. Even when he's just walking under something that touches his back. Even the spray of water will make him do the hootchie kootchie

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I've always maintained that it is annoying to them . But I'm not a tortoise so I cannot say one way or the other

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is your tortoise telling you, its not a female, it doesn't want to breed with you, and telling you to "Back off man!!!"

Its similar to when you grab a male toad or frog around the waist with your thumb and forefinger, simulating amplexus, and they start croaking to let you know they are a male and they aren't into that...

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
That is your tortoise telling you, its not a female, it doesn't want to breed with you, and telling you to "Back off man!!!"

Its similar to when you grab a male toad or frog around the waist with your thumb and forefinger, simulating amplexus, and they start croaking to let you know they are a male and they aren't into that...
I didn't realize that. I thought he was enjoying it.

jay surfs

5 Year Member
Torrance, Ca
Noticed my Sulca does that also, it was apparent to me immediately that he didnt like it when I rubbed/scratched his rear.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My leopard has only recently started doing this and I have caught him scratching himself and doing it on the end of his tort tunnel. Makes me smile everytime.
Is it just males that do this or do females do it too when they aren't ready to mate?

Franklin'sMom

I read somewhere that it was bc they itch and new shell growth can be itchy..? I see my sulcata rub on things in his habitat and sometimes when I take him outside he will rub against me as he walks by me lol