Dog eat tortoise?

Milkman

Location (City and/or State)
Cochrane, AB
So the fam is planning to get a dog a rough collie to be specific, will it eat kiwi , if it will how can we train it to not eat kiwi

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I had a Labrador retriever that had been eating desert tortoise hatchlings and I didn’t know it. There’s no way to train not to that I know of and the only thing that I would recommend is you keep the dogs separate from a tortoise. What kind of tortoises Keewee? Also, I had the pleasure of buying a horse near where you live and had some of the best coffee I’ve ever had in my life. It might’ve been the ambience. It’s a beautiful place.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Ha! Kiwi. I should not dictate into the phone because it spells worse than I do.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Try spraying kiwi with bitter apple. Kidding.. keep them separated .. it only takes 1 second to have a dead tort

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So the fam is planning to get a dog a rough collie to be specific, will it eat kiwi , if it will how can we train it to not eat kiwi
You cannot train the dog to not eat the tortoise. You must make a secure enclosure for the tortoise that the dog cannot get into. They must be kept separate at all times.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Man this dog + tortoise thing feels like groundhog day. Look, our family dog when I was a kid was practically trained to find turtles. She found a box turtle once and brought it to us, and we praised her, and she kept doing it over and over again. But we had to be really careful, because she had no concept that turtles were animals, and best we can tell she thought of them as animated chew toys. The best we could manage is to train her to bring them to us before she chewed them up.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just imagine if the tortoise mistakes the twig and berries for the real thing!