Proof my tort is smarter than my dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
So I noticed something today... Rosie uses her feet to hold onto food when it slides away. My dogs? Not so much... They nose it around and get frustrated when it slides away. :rolleyes: Simple concept, even simpler dogs. Not saying all dogs are dumb since I've known many smart ones, but my two boys definitely lack in the brains department...

rosieeating.jpg

That was her first taste of mini-kiwi (or kiwi berries) and she seemed to demolish it fairly quickly!

Guess this should be in the photo thread and not the discussion.. Unless people want to discuss instances where their torts out-smart other critters!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Mine will step on a leaf or use the spikes on its legs and rip a chunk out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I'm always saying that Misty (my new doberman) is sort of stupid, however, she does hold stuff between her two front paws...even when she's licking a bowl, she'll hold it with her feet.

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
emysemys said:
Well, I'm always saying that Misty (my new doberman) is sort of stupid, however, she does hold stuff between her two front paws...even when she's licking a bowl, she'll hold it with her feet.

Dobermans are in the top 5 smartest breeds in the world. They are also my favorite. that being said, tortoise seem to be practical when it comes to getting the food to their mouths

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I dunno about that... but I guess I have Border Collies :p They use their paws to hold stuff more than I've seen any other dog. They will lay on their backs and hold a toy high above their heads with their paws.... still haven't figured out why...........

Carl, on the other hand, tries to eat shoelaces and fingernails.........

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
When my redfoot eggs hatch the hatchlings hold food down with their feet. They do this straight out of the egg

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
This may true about them being smarter eaters.. Especially since my puppy eats and swallows paper before i can take it away, while my tortoises have never done something quite so dumb. But then again, my dog can fall over on his back and get up again. Turtles just get permanently stuck. :p

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Dobermans are 1 of the smartest dogs. I can talk to mine and she looks at me and knows what I'm saying. And training...they are so easy to train. And the most loyal dogs I know...

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Dobermans are also mean. I was chased by one when I was a little girl walking down the street in my neighborhood. Its owners came out just as it was about to catch me and called it back. I was never so scared in all my life, well I have been more scared but it was definitely a scary moment.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
RosieRedfoot said:
So I noticed something today... Rosie uses her feet to hold onto food when it slides away. My dogs? Not so much... They nose it around and get frustrated when it slides away. :rolleyes: Simple concept, even simpler dogs. Not saying all dogs are dumb since I've known many smart ones, but my two boys definitely lack in the brains department...

That was her first taste of mini-kiwi (or kiwi berries) and she seemed to demolish it fairly quickly!

Guess this should be in the photo thread and not the discussion.. Unless people want to discuss instances where their torts out-smart other critters!

Depends on the dog. Some use their paws more than others.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am suprised your labs don't use their paw to hold food. My old Lab could open the door with the door knob and then take the rubber maid box lid off and eat all the dog food. We kept the door locked until he died. If we forgot he would get right in and get the food.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
My Aussie uses her paws to hold bones and her water dish. Seriously. She also falls asleep sometimes with a big bone held like a Teddy bear:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DanieltheAnvil said:
Dobermans are in the top 5 smartest breeds in the world. They are also my favorite. that being said, tortoise seem to be practical when it comes to getting the food to their mouths

Those lists are ridiculous and it all depends on how each person wishes to define "smart" or "intelligent". But this is a topic for another thread... :D

Steeeew

5 Year Member
When I let Wonton roam around the apartment she likes to go under the entertainment center but I always pull her out before she can get underneath. So instead of going in through the front she'll walk around to the side where she thinks I can't see her and go through there. It makes me laugh so hard.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Steeeew said:
When I let Wonton roam around the apartment she likes to go under the entertainment center but I always pull her out before she can get underneath. So instead of going in through the front she'll walk around to the side where she thinks I can't see her and go through there. It makes me laugh so hard.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the name Wonton for a tort!!!:D

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Rosie tries to do the same thing as Wonton with our entertainment center (and couch). Every time I open her temporary tub enclosure she runs over to the edge of the enclosure and tries to climb out despite me only opening it for a second to throw in her morning food. One of these days she's hoping I'll leave it open a crack and she can make the great escape like she's done a few times before. Buuut that's why we're in the process of building a much larger enclosure for her!

Status
Not open for further replies.