Traveling with my tortoise

Kiwi_04

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi, right now I'm in Maine and I brought my male russian tortoise, Kiwi, with me. I'm wondering about what other people do to travel with their tortoise. I have a 20 gallon tank that I bring Kiwi in, it's the only tank that will fit in my car. I bring his lights and care supplies. But every time I bring him somewhere, I don't feel right bringing him in this tiny tank. I either do that, and actually bring him to my destination, or I have a friend look after him. But I still use the same tiny tank. I want to know what other tortoise parents do to travel with your tortoise, or have a tortoise sitter. Much is appriciated, thanks!!!

This is a picture of what he's in right now. We're leaving from Maine today, so he'll be back to his normal enclosure today! But it is sooooo tiny. Poor Kiwi!0826180920_HDR.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's best to leave him at home and have someone come in once a day too check on him, feed and give fresh water. Set lights/heat on timers. That tank he's in for travel is way too small and very stressful for him.

Kiwi_04

New York
Yes, I let him walk around in the yard everyday when we're here. Having someone come over sounds like a great idea. I just don't have a timer for my lights. But I've been looking into getting one. Thank you!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hi, right now I'm in Maine and I brought my male russian tortoise, Kiwi, with me. I'm wondering about what other people do to travel with their tortoise. I have a 20 gallon tank that I bring Kiwi in, it's the only tank that will fit in my car. I bring his lights and care supplies. But every time I bring him somewhere, I don't feel right bringing him in this tiny tank. I either do that, and actually bring him to my destination, or I have a friend look after him. But I still use the same tiny tank. I want to know what other tortoise parents do to travel with your tortoise, or have a tortoise sitter. Much is appriciated, thanks!!!

This is a picture of what he's in right now. We're leaving from Maine today, so he'll be back to his normal enclosure today! But it is sooooo tiny. Poor Kiwi!View attachment 249481

You should not take your tortoise traveling with you if you cannot adequately provide for them.

1. There's absolutely no space for your tortoise to get away from the two light fixtures you have on that tiny tank. Tortoises require a range of temperatures to properly digest food. They need to be able to move around, to and from heat sources.
2. The substrate is too low for a Russian tortoise. Russians burrow into the substrate as a way to regulate their temperatures.
3. No water dish.
4. Even if you were to take the tortoise out for some sun, they're still going to end up back into that tiny tank for the majority of your travel duration. Are you familiar with what a hot box is? These trips, depending on their frequency, can negatively affect your tortoise's health.
5. Adult Russians tortoises require at least a 8 L x 4 W ft enclosure. You have an adult.

Do your tortoise a favor and leave them at home. Find/pay for a sitter and take time to teach them how to properly look after them.

If you have read these links, I suggest reading them again:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're right to not feel right about putting him into that tiny tank. It's way too small for an adult Russian tortoise (he's a beauty, by the way).

I also feel you should try to find someone to look in on him while you're gone and leave him home. Does he have an outside habitat at home?

Kiwi_04

New York
Thank you for this information. I know this is such a horrible thing to do, putting him in this tank. I have been trying to find a sitter, but there's not a whole lot of options where I live. But the good news is that we're home and he's in his much larger enclosure. I realize that I absolutely MUST keep him home, I just could never find a sitter. I REALLY appreciate all the information and I will DEFINITELY be getting a sitter. I'm not going on vacation anytime soon, so he should be good. Thanks!