Doesn't Seem to Like Damp Substrate?

margosha

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, OH
I have recently acquired an adult Russian, and I've been keeping him on Repti-bark. It's dry on top, but moist underneath, and I've read that they're supposed to create microclimates by finding the humidity down below, but I've noticed that he only burrows when the bark has dried out and it's time to re-dampen. And after I re-dampen, he seems to wait for it dry out again before burrowing, or he'll find a dry patch to bury in. Most times, he just sleeps out in the open. Idk if that's all just coincidence, but I'd be interested to hear opinions.

And, I guess my question is, did I misinterpret the need for damp substrate for an adult RT? Should I keep him on dry substrate and just mist it to keep the dust down? Or is that going to be detrimental to his health? Would he be in danger of dehydration? He gets soaked twice a week and has a shallow dish to drink from, plus a humid hide (that he has yet to explore haha). Right now the humidity hovers around 30%, but it will reach 40-50% once the heat in my building switches to A/C.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's fine. Full grown Russians don't need that much humidity.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It doesn’t need to be damp, but I would keep it just slightly moist. Maybe pour in some water once a week or less. If anything, just be sure you have a large, accessible water bowl and humid hide :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What's the temperature in the enclosure? Maybe the damp substrate is too cold?