Does this yellow ring look normal ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Central Washington
I don't know if the yellow ring around my (7 ? yr) old female RT is expanding normally. I have had her a little over 2 months. Below is a picture of her when I first got her. The other two is of today.

She has gained 2 oz in last month. 1lb. 7 oz. She is 5 1/2" long. I was worried that I might be feeding her too much.

IMG_0164_zps9f096761.jpg

IMG_0322_zpsbe446d4b.jpg

IMG_0328_zps20217b84.jpg

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I'm new here so I'm honestly not too sure....but in the first picture she is darker all over...maybe dirty?? and in the other two yes I see the line around her however I wonder how bright the line was under all the dirt in the first picture..I think she has lightened up all over from being well taken care of....some members that have been in the tort game longer will know in the mean time I think my post bumps you to the top!

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
Eloise said:
I'm new here so I'm honestly not too sure....but in the first picture she is darker all over...maybe dirty?? and in the other two yes I see the line around her however I wonder how bright the line was under all the dirt in the first picture..I think she has lightened up all over from being well taken care of....some members that have been in the tort game longer will know in the mean time I think my post bumps you to the top!

Thanks for your coments. She really does not look that yellow. I think the flash on my camera intensified the color. But you are right she is lighter. The first picture, she really is not that dirty. She got a bath every other day. :rolleyes: I wish I would of had the same camera and flash for both pictures. I am most concerned about the widening of the yellow line around her ?? Im sure it has a name. ?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
It looks like great healthy growth rings to me. Beautiful tort, congratulations!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That line is simply new growth. Perfectly fine and it means she is doing well under your care. In time the new growth will weather and fade and look just like the older growth.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
Tom said:
That line is simply new growth. Perfectly fine and it means she is doing well under your care. In time the new growth will weather and fade and look just like the older growth.

Thanks again for letting me know. I tried to do research before I posted and the only thing I could find was if it is too wide it meant she was growing too fast. Of course I would of had no idea what 'too wide' means. I am sooo pleased to have found this forum. You are the only knowledable source I have to go to.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We all just love tortoises. So many people here just have years of experience with them and so many useful tips. This is the best resource for good tortoise info that I have found.

Status
Not open for further replies.