Growth ring still spreading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Central Washington
Please give opinion if Oakley is growing too fast. First picture was about 4 weeks ago. Second picture was of yesterday. Notice the width of the yellow growth rings. She is also gaining about 2 oz. each month. She is about 10 years old. Close to 6 inches long. Weighs 794 grams

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pics didn't show. You need to copy/paste the IMG code.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
Sorry about that. I'm trying again with the pictures.
I don't know why but photo bucket comes up with these two [/u]IMGs. It never has done this before. So I will include both.??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like super healthy great new growth. That is one gorgeous russian. Beautiful shell texture and color. Super smooth. Did you raise it yourself? Whoever did, did a nice job.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
Tom said:
Looks like super healthy great new growth. That is one gorgeous russian. Beautiful shell texture and color. Super smooth. Did you raise it yourself? Whoever did, did a nice job.

Thanks for comments!! No I have only owned her since Dec. 2012. I was told by a friend of a friend she was being given to Petsmart. They knew I was looking for a female RT, and obtain her for me. Unfortunately, it is impossible to contact original owner. She is super friendly, likes her shell and head rubbed, eats out of my hand. I too thought she had a good prior owner. It's just that I am a first time tortoise owner, know no one that owns one near by and am learning as I go along. I am so thankful for this form and you Tom for all the help and information I am obtaining. I am a worry wort, and want so badly to do good by her.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm not sure about the weight change.

How often are you weighing her and is it under the same conditions each time?

What dates and weights do you have recorded for her?

She does look great.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
Growing too fast? I don't think that's a big problem. Feeding a bad diet can cause abnormal growth in some areas or deformations.. but most of the really bad stuff is happening inside where you can't see.. enlarged liver and kidneys etc. I'm no vet, but the tort looks like he's doing well.
--Jeff

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
WillTortoise said:
I'm not sure about the weight change.

How often are you weighing her and is it under the same conditions each time?

What dates and weights do you have recorded for her?

She does look great.

I obtained her first part of Dec. First time I weighed and measured her was Dec.31, she was 5 1/4" long and 5" wide,@ 1 lb 5 oz. Jan.31, she was lb 7 oz. On Mar.5th she was 5 1/2 " long @ 1 lb 10.5 oz. and on Apr. 4th she was 5 3/4" @ 1 lb 12oz.

I have tried to weigh her each time a couple of hours after she has eaten and seen her poop. I was wondering if the yellow growth ring can get too wide? I have fed her mostly the spring mix over the winter with TNT added 3 or 4 times a week and calcium 2 to 3 times a week. Now that there are some acceptable plants coming up I am able to add these to her diet for a better variety. I am trying to weigh her once a month.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Weight gain seems fairly steady. Might want to take her into a big yard or field and get some "closely supervised" exercise.

She'll walk a mile for a good place to hide! :)

Good luck.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Your tortoise looks beautiful and healthy, and it looks like growth is happening nice and evenly between all the scutes. Good food, regular soaking, and enough exercise will all aid healthy growth.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
biochemnerd808 said:
Your tortoise looks beautiful and healthy, and it looks like growth is happening nice and evenly between all the scutes. Good food, regular soaking, and enough exercise will all aid healthy growth.

Thanks for kind words. We have built a large outside enclosure, growing a mix of weed seeds, and having fun putting 'things' in it. Now, we are just waiting for the temps to get warmer. But even then, I plan on bringing her in at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.