Does shyness reliably predict sex in young Aldabras?

marty4dive

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vallejo, CA
IMG_0329.JPGHow about the anecdotes that claim young female Aldabras are noticeably more shy than young male Aldabras? Can you reliably determine the sex of young Aldabrans this way? Toothless is way more shy than Jett who is about 3-4 y.o. and will routinely extend his neck for a good rubdown and scratch. Toothless will have none of that unless I sneak up on her(I want her to be a her) while she's eating.Marty

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am guessing here, but no. Something like that is so tort individual that I wouldn't count on it. However. ALDABRAMAN may know how his has turned out sex wise, compared to how they acted as younger ones. Good luck, on her being a her. Do you know for sure the other one is a he?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I am no aldabra expert, but the first thing I thought of was that maybe there is some bullying going on. An expert will chime in soon and help you. Beautiful tortoises! : )

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I really would think not, but I have no experience with these guys. I am going to think it's a personality thing, nothing more. I do love the name Toothless! :D

marty4dive

5 Year Member
Vallejo, CA
IMG_0331.JPG
wellington said:
I am guessing here, but no. Something like that is so tort individual that I wouldn't count on it. However. ALDABRAMAN may know how his has turned out sex wise, compared to how they acted as younger ones. Good luck, on her being a her. Do you know for sure the other one is a he?

No I don't know if Jett is a "he"; I'm probably just being anthropomorphic and engaging in wishful thinking but their behavior causes me to want to assign sex based on Toothless' shyness and Jett's willingness to engage with me a little by having his head and neck scratched. Like I said, it's probably me. Marty

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Both of my aldabran tortoises were very shy for the first 6 or 8 years of their lives, and both turned out male.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
marty4dive said:
No I don't know if Jett is a "he"; I'm probably just being anthropomorphic and engaging in wishful thinking but their behavior causes me to want to assign sex based on Toothless' shyness and Jett's willingness to engage with me a little by having his head and neck scratched. Like I said, it's probably me. Marty

Nothing wrong with that. I bet you would find a lot of the tortoise keepers do the same thing, I know I do. ;) :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
marty4dive said:
Can you reliably determine the sex of young Aldabrans this way?

* The only 100% way is a surgical procedure!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it were me, I would keep up the wishful thinking and positive thinking. Can't hurt, right:D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
If it were me, I would keep up the wishful thinking and positive thinking.

* I agree! Honestly, there is a difference in male and female behavior, however unless you spend a lot of time observing the details, it is very difficult to tell. This photo was taken today, see the one with his head up high, we are convinced that is a male based on his overall character and our observations since he was hatched. If it is not, it is for sure a strong dominant female. However, the only way to be 100% sure is to have a competent vet perform a surgical procedure.

sol5ig.jpg

marty4dive

5 Year Member
Vallejo, CA
ALDABRAMAN said:
wellington said:
If it were me, I would keep up the wishful thinking and positive thinking.

* I agree! Honestly, there is a difference in male and female behavior, however unless you spend a lot of time observing the details, it is very difficult to tell. This photo was taken today, see the one with his head up high, we are convinced that is a male based on his overall character and our observations since he was hatched. If it is not, it is for sure a strong dominant female. However, the only way to be 100% sure is to have a competent vet perform a surgical procedure.

sol5ig.jpg

What surgical procedure? I thought the vet just put a scope up the anus(cloaca?) and looked at the anatomy. Is that not right? Marty

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
marty4dive said:
What surgical procedure? I thought the vet just put a scope up the anus(cloaca?) and looked at the anatomy. Is that not right? Marty

* I have never had one done, from what i understand based on conversations is the vet makes an incision in the upper inner leg area and completes the procedure thru that cut.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
I'm surprised there is no blood test for this situation. Cutting holes in legs strikes me as pretty invasive.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Holycow said:
Cutting holes in legs strikes me as pretty invasive.

* That is our first thoughts as well. Our main concern would be possible infection, especially when it is optional and elective!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
From what I gathered in talking to my vet one day one can't see a tortoise's penis by looking through the cloaca.