Human touch

Prairie Mom

Ya know, it's interesting...so far my tortoise doesn't really like being petted on her shell very much (but the head and neck galore now). She'll actually start ramming if I try to give her shell too much attention.

This thread made me think about that a bit and it occurred to me that with the help from forum members, we figured out that she has lots of dog chew marks all over her shell (-from her previous life! We found her as a stray.)--I'm certain this is why she is so protective/defensive of her shell. I think it's really cool to understand her a little more. They really are little individuals with their own histories and personalities aren't they?

Some of her dog chews, for those of you that have morbid curiosity like I do...
dog marks smaller.jpg
Her carapace and body (weight, skin, etc) already have improved so much since this photo was taken. My sweetie has grown a lot. I'm really pleased:)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
My wife do love to massage our torts. Some of them really enjoyed but some of them are not. I will try to take some shots next time! !

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
My Hermann's, Carl, seems to like shell scratches. However, right now he's in an extremely territorial mood and much prefers to just chase my hand around. I once thought we were having a "moment" when he ran over and started sniffing my hand. He sniffed it and rubbed his head on my fingers for probably a good five minutes before biting me. Then he chased me away. He's a naughty guy!

Prairie Mom

My Hermann's, Carl, seems to like shell scratches. However, right now he's in an extremely territorial mood and much prefers to just chase my hand around. I once thought we were having a "moment" when he ran over and started sniffing my hand. He sniffed it and rubbed his head on my fingers for probably a good five minutes before biting me. Then he chased me away. He's a naughty guy!
Ha! That's hilarious:)

Prairie Mom

@maggie3fan 's thread almost escaped me and I hope everyone gets a chance to see adorable Bob in her latest posting. Bob is amazing. I aspire to have the same type of relationship Maggie and Bob have. I think she did such a great job socializing him and giving him oodles of attention and love. The photo of her cradling his large head in her hand may be my very favorite ever! The rest of the photos of Bob nearly attacking her in order to sit on her lap are something else!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-attack-of-affection.112458/

M

Maggie Cummings

@maggie3fan 's thread almost escaped me and I hope everyone gets a chance to see adorable Bob in her latest posting. Bob is amazing. I aspire to have the same type of relationship Maggie and Bob have. I think she did such a great job socializing him and giving him oodles of attention and love. The photo of her cradling his large head in her hand may be my very favorite ever! The rest of the photos of Bob nearly attacking her in order to sit on her lap are something else!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-attack-of-affection.112458/
Thank you, he is very affectionate. I think he actually has feelings for me, aside from me being the Food Goddess....

Mavrik

I believe that my littlest redfoot shelling Che is a bit ticklish. When I rub his head and neck area, usually after a soak and I am rubbing some extra water on his head because his head is perpetually dry, he sticks his neck out as far as he can to let me rub it with my fingers, but he waves his legs around like he's kicking. I swear I heard him giggle like a little kid.

Prairie Mom

I believe that my littlest redfoot shelling Che is a bit ticklish. When I rub his head and neck area, usually after a soak and I am rubbing some extra water on his head because his head is perpetually dry, he sticks his neck out as far as he can to let me rub it with my fingers, but he waves his legs around like he's kicking. I swear I heard him giggle like a little kid.
That's so cute. It makes me think of when a cat or dog kicks their legs as you scratch them. I think Che is trying to "help" you itch him:) Try to get a photo or film sometime. I'd love to see!