Does my set-up sound good? (Russian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpcaper

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
I feel like it's a little small, but I don't really have room for anything much bigger unless it goes up vertically. I just can't figure how to do that

My enclosure is about 2' by 3' with a basking spot on one end around 95F and the cool end being room temp 60-75F.
I have a 75w heat lamp and a UVB light in the basking area.
Also, in his basking area I put several river rocks and some larger rocks for him to climb on or sit on.
For substrate I use a mixture of sand and soil (eco-earth brick), 2in deep in hiding spot, 3/4in in basking spot and abour 1/2 in everywhere else.
I have the kind of ramp water bowl that you get from the pet store and I've seen him drink from it so I think that is ok.
I also have one of those bones that they use for calcium.
LJqxy.jpg
[/img]

Does this sound alright?

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
From a safety stand point make sure the first light in the pic is secured and won't fall on the ground and start a fire.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You have a nice set up. Depending on the size of your tort, it might indeed be a bit small.
Perhaps you can set something up outside come Spring?
But for now, you have thought of everything.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is your UV bulb a coil type? Those can damage their eyes. I'd get something else.

Those bowls are death traps. A member found their tortoise upside down and drowned in one of those a couple of months ago. Take it back and get a terra cotta plant saucer from the hardware store for 2 or 3 bucks.

You need to find a way to attach those fixtures. If you drill a small hole in the bottom of the dome where it touches the hardware cloth, you can use some metal bailing wire to attach it in two points so it can't move. Personally I'd rather suspend my fixture over the enclosure so I can adjust my temps by raising or lowering them.

Cuttlebone is good.

Hide area is great.

I prefer to not use any sand. Make sure your tortoise isn't eating any substrate if you choose to keep it.

Over all, not a bad set up.

cpcaper

5 Year Member
Northern California
Tom said:
Is your UV bulb a coil type? Those can damage their eyes. I'd get something else.

Those bowls are death traps. A member found their tortoise upside down and drowned in one of those a couple of months ago. Take it back and get a terra cotta plant saucer from the hardware store for 2 or 3 bucks.

You need to find a way to attach those fixtures. If you drill a small hole in the bottom of the dome where it touches the hardware cloth, you can use some metal bailing wire to attach it in two points so it can't move. Personally I'd rather suspend my fixture over the enclosure so I can adjust my temps by raising or lowering them.

The light in the back does have a clamp on it and is connected to the back wall. the the reason I have the chicken wire there was to hold the second UVB light up. Also, about the coil bulbs, I do have the 10.0 repti-sun? I think. What else would you suggest for UVB?

About the water bowl, I have put some rocks in there if he needs more help climbing out, but he usually goes in through the sides! I guess it less steep that way?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.