Basking spot-Flat rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
I want to share the basking spot set up for my RT Gary. I have several large rocks and one smaller kinda flat slanted rock with top soil all around

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379749037.700113.jpg

I'm just curious if I should have any concerns with not having a totally flat basking area...?

Temp is 100 directly under the light, where those 3 rocks in the back all meet

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379750969.345959.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only concern I would have is his rear end will get much hotter before his front end gets warm enough for him. However, I really don't have any experience with this, so see what others say. I only have flat rocks.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have had basking areas just like this. Never had a problem. They can adjust themselves accordingly.

Sent from my TFOapp

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Ok thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. He does move around there, he's usually in a different position there everyday :) and He usually goes to the left corner at night.

I like that the rocks keep his nails trim. He really likes to climb around there and he sits in the little flower pot a lot and just looks around. It's cute :)

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
What an adorable basking picture! I'm pretty sure he's saying it's just PERFECT! If he wasn't comfortable he'd move. I would keep a close eye on the temperature of the rocks to make sure he doesn't burn himself on them. A heat gun will make checking the temp of the rocks frequently, fast and easy. You can find them online for around $15.00

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
That is the greatest picture ever. If there is a pic of the year contest I vote for this one right now!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd be worried about a tip over. Keep an eye on it.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
TigsMom said:
What an adorable basking picture! I'm pretty sure he's saying it's just PERFECT! If he wasn't comfortable he'd move. I would keep a close eye on the temperature of the rocks to make sure he doesn't burn himself on them. A heat gun will make checking the temp of the rocks frequently, fast and easy. You can find them online for around $15.00

I need to get one of those temp guns. I take the temp in the basking spot regularly but I'm still using the little round thermometer from Petco and I've read on here that they are not always accurate.

Saleama said:
That is the greatest picture ever. If there is a pic of the year contest I vote for this one right now!

LOL Thanks!!! haha I'll keep it mind for the photo contests! :p

Good point Tom. I have not seen him tip himself over here before but I will definitely keep an eye on him. I've seen him tip & right himself a few times in his outdoor enclosure when he tries to climb out. He can right himself pretty well. But I know there are dangers especially if he's exposed to the sun/high temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.