Does anyone's family think their obsession with their Tortoise is weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instinct

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate New York
Out of all my pets I find that my family is probably the most confused over the love I have for my tortoise. To them, it is just a walking rock that eats better than they do. :p

Yet, my parents always bring home fresh greens for my boy (even though I am more than willing to pay) and my sister likes to give him his breakfast and watch him eat.

So, I think Darwin is growing on them.

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
I don't think it's the fact that I have a tortoise as a pet, it's just the intensity that I put into his care that they think is weird. My Mom met him for the first time yesterday and was pretty entranced by his cuteness though :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
All my family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) and in-laws think my wife, kids, and self are a little "odd" because of our pets, but they all think the tortoises are fine...my pythons, not so much. :p

But they like 'em well enough at a distance of 50' or better. :D

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I think it's funny that the same members of my family that thought I was nuts for wanting a tortoise are now the same people trying to talk me into getting more.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I had always wanted a tortoise. My mom and I had even looked around for one at different pet shops many moons ago when I was a teenager. So she wasn't surprised or weirded out by it. In fact she's one of Sheldon's favorite people. My father built him a hide and my step mothers company built his habitat so he's an extended family pet :p My mom buys him food all the time. I take him for walks and people seem to really enjoy seeing him and learning about him. He's a life long friend.

One time I did tell him he had sexy tortoise legs and my friend got a little weirded out. He said I was sexually harassing Sheldon. I said, and Sheldon doesn't have to take it. I then went on to explain that I believe in building confidence within the tortoise community :D

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
morloch said:
I talk to my tortoise . I curse at my tortoise, I see a fantastic bunch of weeds on the side of the road and pull over. I bath my tortoise. Take my tortoise for a walk. I make my tortoise a fantastic salad everyday. I'm not weird, I'm not crazy, im just obsessed with my tortoise!! If u dont like it,,, leave me alone!! Lol😃😊

You couldn't have said it better!! I LOVE TORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

At work and at home and with friends I'm definitely called the CRAZY tortoise lady!! I don't mind whatsoever until I hear people say "I don't like tortoises, they stink bad when they poop!" And I reply "your poop isn't rose petals either!! and in fact I can smell you right now!" Tortoises Rule!!! lol

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Left Coast :)
Carol S said:
Some people at work call me the Tortoise Lady. When my husband and I are driving down the street I am looking at different plants and weeds and thinking "that would be good for my tortoises to eat". When we are driving past undeveloped land and I see big rocks I say "look at those neat looking rocks they would look good in the thortoise enclosures".

My husband spoils me and has built me two big enclosures and one smaller one. We are now in the process of landscaping the big second one. He also has to still put the electrical wires around the top of the second enclosure to keep racoons out and also build a large hide. :)

woooooow... you and I think alike lol i seriously do the same thing too!! whenever i drive i always look at the natural brushes, weeds and flowers around and always thought about pulling over and picking them up or even transplanting them in their outdoor enclosure ;P It even goes as far as me imagining tortoises walking around at meadows and rich grassy areas i see while driving and think "that would be a perfect outdoor habitat for tortoises :)" or "world would be soo much better with tortoises walking around"

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I have some friends that are one of these peeps is not like the other ... me, denim ... them, Rodeo Drive ... and the other day when we were all out for lunch one of them tells me she found a lot that she had to take me to so I could do some guerrilla weeding for my tortoises. I knew I had taught my BFFs well at that point, LOL! Yep, I learned them right. : )

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
I have some friends that are one of these peeps is not like the other ... me, denim ... them, Rodeo Drive ... and the other day when we were all out for lunch one of them tells me she found a lot that she had to take me to so I could do some guerrilla weeding for my tortoises. I knew I had taught my BFFs well at that point, LOL! Yep, I learned them right. : )

You certainly did, lol!

Yurusumaji

5 Year Member
The Mile High City
I'm "The Crazy Animal Lady" to my friends and family. I obsess over all my pets and I've been keeping pets for nearly a decade now, so most people don't think it's weird anymore. At least, not people who have known me for a while. People I'm not as close with or have only recently just met me tend to think my ... intensity ... concerning my animals is bizarre. I also have 9 kiddos in the house now, so unacquainted people think it's weird that I have so many.

There are some people though who find my love for animals fascinating and they're fun for me because they always want to see more, know more information, follow the pet's progress. It's cute and I love it because I love talking about my little beauties.

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Michigan
My family understands my love of all animals and I get picked on because of my animals, but who cares I have my tortoise Bella :)

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Hell yeah. My mum doesn't even find tortoises cute! Not even baby ones! How can you not?! I think I'm a bit too obsessed with mine though seeing as I spend 24/7 with her.

Mr. T

5 Year Member
When I told my friends that I wanted an aldabra they all thought I was nuts

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
My husband says his friends are jealous! Their wives hate Home Depot and Lowe's.
I love both places. I am always looking at wood, rocks, bricks, chicken wire, mesh, chain link, plants, hoses, etc. my husband has fallen into all of it, God love him :)

My siblings get it. We are all animal nuts.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." -Nietzsche

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Moozilion said:
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." -Nietzsche

Great quote

My fiancé and I are both animal lovers and yes our families def roll their eyes or make jokes about our tortoise...I've been a reptile and especially a tortoise fanatic since I could remember. Id be inside caring for my pets or bringing them outside with me when it was nice out ...always the odd child walking my savannah monitor on a leash instead of a dog.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Re: RE: Does anyone's family think their obsession with their Tortoise is weird?

Moozilion said:

Love this.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
HAHA! These responses are so great, I already love you guys!
I have been obsessed with turtles for years and when my friends and family travel they always bring me Turtle knick knacks. Heck I even have a turtle tattoo...makes me look tough. :p

Happy Tortoise

5 Year Member
ME LOVE DA TORTOISE AND ME AMIGO DO TO :p Yep.

pspryu101 said:
Carol S said:
Some people at work call me the Tortoise Lady. When my husband and I are driving down the street I am looking at different plants and weeds and thinking "that would be good for my tortoises to eat". When we are driving past undeveloped land and I see big rocks I say "look at those neat looking rocks they would look good in the thortoise enclosures".

My husband spoils me and has built me two big enclosures and one smaller one. We are now in the process of landscaping the big second one. He also has to still put the electrical wires around the top of the second enclosure to keep racoons out and also build a large hide. :)

woooooow... you and I think alike lol i seriously do the same thing too!! whenever i drive i always look at the natural brushes, weeds and flowers around and always thought about pulling over and picking them up or even transplanting them in their outdoor enclosure ;P It even goes as far as me imagining tortoises walking around at meadows and rich grassy areas i see while driving and think "that would be a perfect outdoor habitat for tortoises :)" or "world would be soo much better with tortoises walking around"

Yeeeeeeeup when on my way to school I see weeds that Mr. T likes so much and I'm like "Oooooooooh yea!" And wish I can stuff them in a bag and bring it to him hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.