Does anyone else hand feed their baby tortoise?

S.a.z.z.l.e

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I’d already fed her dandelion leaves and a flower, and a couple of clover flowers, and she’d eaten a little lettuce by herself earlier. But is it normal to have to hand feed your baby tortoise?
She always goes back to bed after eating, I presume this is what they do when they’re digesting their food?

Attachments

• 8FBFDB5F-04DA-44D0-8652-8CDE9EED7356.jpeg
    8FBFDB5F-04DA-44D0-8652-8CDE9EED7356.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

TaylorTortoise

Abington
last time I hand fed my adult russian tortoise, he snipped my hand thinking it was food and he latched onto my skin, and I julted and spazzed out by shaking my hand back and forth to get him off. We both were in great distress from it.

MandyLLL

puerto rico
My Redfoot baby tort gets hand fed often, though she eats with or without my help. I mainly use food to lure her out of hide for soaks.

Personally I think it’s a good way for the tort to build human-tolerance:) Although I am fairly new to tort keeping. Curious to hear opinions of experienced members.

S.a.z.z.l.e

United Kingdom
My Redfoot baby tort gets hand fed often, though she eats with or without my help. I mainly use food to lure her out of hide for soaks.

Personally I think it’s a good way for the tort to build human-tolerance:) Although I am fairly new to tort keeping. Curious to hear opinions of experienced members.
I’m with you on the human/tort tolerance thing! I do like feeding her, and she comes running when I wave a leaf in her direction!

Pebbles Roberts

Platinum Tortoise Club
Beckenham, Unitd kingdom
I’d already fed her dandelion leaves and a flower, and a couple of clover flowers, and she’d eaten a little lettuce by herself earlier. But is it normal to have to hand feed your baby tortoise?
She always goes back to bed after eating, I presume this is what they do when they’re digesting their food?
I have a 9 month old Hermann tortoise and I have always hand fed her, just because I love to. She does eat independently of me, but she loves soaked dandelion pellets and I feed her these by hand. I think it helps us to bond; she runs over to me when I'm ready to feed her. She's never bitten me.

Luzmary Holt

Camarillo
Hi,

I have a Sulcate Desert tortoise (Tortellini) I had him since he was 7 months old, I have hand fed him ever since, (he eats on his own though). He is 4-1/2-year-old and 30-35 lbs. know; he still loves to be hand fed; I always try to keep my fingers away as he could accidentally bite.

He recognizes my voice and or knows his name when I call him, he loves to be by my side when I’m out gardening or in the yard, they do learn to interact with people if they are around often

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I hand feed now and then just for a very special treat for the two of us. It's usually a wild strawberry or dandelion with the stem. Something like that. A stem helps to keeps it friendly