Do torts have lazy days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Just wanting to get some feedback from our more seasoned keepers about "lazy" days. My baby Leopard has been super active the last few days, eating and drinking like crazy but this morning after his soak he just seemed to retreat to one side (the warm side) and hasn't moved since. His head is out and eyes are closed and if I pick him up he reacts and acts normal but he's not acting "normal" which includes cruising his enclosure, eating tons of food and drinking up lots of water so I just wanted to see if this behavior is normal from time to time??

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
From time to time it is perfectly normal.

I exhibit this behavior quite often. :)

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Alright, my gf is off today so she can keep an eye on him, hopefully it doesnt last long.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds normal, but do watch that is just a today thing, not the start of being sick.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
My RF Tyrone is having a lazy day too!
Yesterday he was all over the place eating and soaking extra long. Then after he got out and made it all dirty, I changed the water and put in fresh warm water ... And yep you guessed it he was right back in it soaking! So after we rinsed and repeated a third time. He finally settled in for the night. This morning he came out and went under the basking light and slept using the rock as a pillow. Of course i started to worry, because normal routine is he wakes up i wash his soaking bowl and feed him and fill it with warm water. He comes over for a long soak and eats then basks. Today he slept all day he has just now come alive and is eating up a storm and pacing around like normal. He will soak again, so I will rinse and repeat!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
sometimes my leo will have all legs sprawled out, neck extended and almost head laying on its side. like literally laying out, vegging out and being lazy sometimes. like everyone says keep an eye out to make sure it doesn't last day after day

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Well apparently my Tyrone has his days and nights mixed up, because after his lazy sleepy day ... He was up all night acting his crazy self chomping on the cuddle bone, pacing the enclosure, standing on his hide, moving around, chomping on the cuddle bone, splashing his water, chomping on the cuddle bone, and digging around! Did I mention chomping on the sudden bone?

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Ok second day and its continuing, doesnt seem to be getting worse but im wondering if I let it get too cold at night...right around 75 and 70% humidity. Eweezyforsheezy was worried it might be a respiratory infection. Im gonna remove the lid on the enclosure today and place the CHE a little closer so the temp goes up and the humidity goes down, hows that sound?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yeah, with that high of humidity I would try to keep the temperatures in the high 70's and low 80's as a nightime cold temperature.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
My goal is to get it to stabilize around 50%. Hopefully things start to improve.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
When my leopard was a baby(he's two now) I let the nigh time temp get down to 72 and he got a bad respiratory infection. The vet gave him a shot of baytril and then I had to give him one a day for ten days. He was so small we used an insulin needle with barely any in it. Since then I don' let it get below 85.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I'm worrying myself now! All mine does is wake up to eat for about ten mins, may lie under the heat lamp for an hour (if that) and then goes back to her hide at the cool end for the rest of the day. She's only active for about an hour if that. And thats every single day. On the days I take her out of her enclosure for a walk, all she does is look for a place to sleep...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
LeopardTortLover said:
I'm worrying myself now! All mine does is wake up to eat for about ten mins, may lie under the heat lamp for an hour (if that) and then goes back to her hide at the cool end for the rest of the day. She's only active for about an hour if that. And thats every single day. On the days I take her out of her enclosure for a walk, all she does is look for a place to sleep...

If this is how your tortoise has always been, and is growing and gaining weight, there's nothing to worry about that I can determine.

Some tortoises are like that.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
My girlfriend gave me updates all afternoon while I was at work to keep letting me know how little Cooper was doing. Fortnately she appeared to be doing better. Ate almost all her food and started doing her normal laps in the enclosure repeatedly walking through the water and taking big gulps every couple laps or so. I just made some adjustments to the 60W CHE and have it to where the overall temp in the enclosure is 84 with 55% humidity. There is one spot right under the CHE that happens to be right over the water bowl that is just touching 89/90 but i'm ok with that.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sounds great!

Do you have a humid hide with a higher amount of humidity than 55%?

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Neal: She has never gone into the humid hide, I put her in it one time and she came right back out. Any thoughts?

Eweezyfosheezy: Yea I was getting worried, when I came in this morning she was already up and at em which is unusual, she would normally just be asleep until I soaked her, so she's definitely more active now.

Status
Not open for further replies.