What does your baby leopard do while soaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I've only had mine for 10 days, but it seems to have a routine.

When I first put mine in the water it will immediately put its entire head in and scrape it with its feet. It will then leave only the mouth part in, apparently drinking, then look up.

After that it will always poop. After it poops, it will kick around until the 20 minutes is over.

I'm just curious as to what normal soaking behavior is.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Tico would poop every soaking as a baby but now he might every third soaking. He will also submerge his head and drink for quite awhile. Then he usually just sprawls out till I take him out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tatum will just site sprawled for a bit. Poops every other soak. Then when he is done pooping, will keep trying to walk up the sides of the sink. Gets no place. When I change his soaking water for fresh, he kinda squirms. Then I face him to the mirror and he settles right down and looks at himself. Calms him every time. He knows he is beautiful:)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Most of mine do exactly what you described.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know what mine all do. I go clean their water bowls and put out food while they are soaking. There is just no shortage of chores around my place. :)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Now that mine are used to being soaked, they usually just enjoy it for 10 minutes or so. I go tend to their enclosures and get their food ready, then go back and re-warm their water. In the second 10 minutes they usually poop, and then try to get out 'cause they know the food comes next. My older one only poops every 2nd or 3rd day now. As soon as I take him/her out of the water he starts wiggling to get to his food.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I get the food ready too while mine's soaking. It knows this now. Yesterday morning when I was preparing the food by the soaking dish it was actually watching me and trying to get to it. I then fed her a little piece as she kicked around.

This thing definitely isn't shy when it comes to food.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tortus said:
I get the food ready too while mine's soaking. It knows this now. Yesterday morning when I was preparing the food by the soaking dish it was actually watching me and trying to get to it. I then fed her a little piece as she kicked around.

This thing definitely isn't shy when it comes to food.

LOL, mine either. All of mine are little piggies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Really... Out of all my reptiles, this is the greediest baby I've ever had. None of the others would eat from my hand at this age. I should take some videos of it eating while it's still an infant. lol

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
My aldabra stays calm until he poops, then he starts trying to get out of the container. After I change the water, he will still act reckless.

My marginata status calm all time when soaking.

My radiata always trying to get put of the container as soon as I put him in.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
My baby Leopard sits for a minute, then poops then try's to get out. In the first five minutes during his soak I get him his Mazuri and grass pellets. Then he try's to get out. I usually do my school in my room during his soak (for I am home schooled! ^_^) then when I put him back in his terrarium I put him under his basking spot and he sits their for a bit. And then goes and eats! :) Once I didn't have his food yet so he went to the spot where his food usually is and looked in the crater in the ground where his food bowl goes then looked at me :p

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yellow Turtle said:
My aldabra stays calm until he poops, then he starts trying to get out of the container. After I change the water, he will still act reckless.

My marginata status calm all time when soaking.

My radiata always trying to get put of the container as soon as I put him in.

I'm so considering moving just so I can have an aldabra. I love them but they're way too huge to keep in the house.

I was looking them up the other day and it's heart breaking how sailors would keep them on ships as sources of food and water, like Galapagos tortoises. I don't know how people could kill something like that.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Mine just trys to get out, acts like he's being abused or something. Then when I put him back in the cage he just sits there or eats a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.