Do Sulcata's seek out humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashburn, VA
In planning for our new built-in enclosure's microclimates I was wondering if anyone had any anecdotal observations about their Sulcata seeking out humid areas in their enclosures or if it is something you have to coax them into, generally speaking?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If this is a small,sully, you should set the enclosure up like in Toms threads below. The leopard thread also pertains to Sullies.
Hello and Welcome:)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Sterling Thunder said:
In planning for our new built-in enclosure's microclimates I was wondering if anyone had any anecdotal observations about their Sulcata seeking out humid areas in their enclosures or if it is something you have to coax them into, generally speaking?

When it is hot here in TX, WalkingRock will go to his water hole or his bunker. Both are very humid but the water hole is in the Sun. I am however, fairly certain it is because of the heat and nothing to do with the Humidity.

Sorry, I know it's not much help but I have found that large Sulcatas do what they want, when they want and the heck with what we think about it!

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
@Wellington, thanks, I have read those repeatedly. I am just looking to get any anecdotal evidence that points toward them going for the humid areas when given a choice.

@Zamric, thanks, that is what I am looking for, nothing definitive but useful in building a picture. I have to ask, the plate on his shell, I am assuming that is attached with an adhesive, what is it, a dog tag with return to sender info? He is a great looking tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are many factors that decide where a tortoise hangs out in any given enclosure. Temps, brightness, hidey holes, food, water, furniture arrangement, where they feel secure for whatever reason, where other cage mates are or aren't, where they have had any positive or negative experiences, personal preferences etc... Way too many factors to manage with any degree of accuracy.

My thoughts on the matter:
1. In the wild, babies hatch at the start of the rainy season. It's hot, wet, humid and marshy. There is really not much "choice" for them. They can try to find a drier area, but when it's raining outdoors, and they are trying to hide at the bases of plants and such, there are really no dry or un-humid areas.
2. Given a choice in captivity, many tortoises WILL choose a drier area. Any of the factors noted in the opening paragraph could contribute to this choice. Might have nothing to do with humidity. I have observed many many times, that if you raise a sulcata baby dry, it WILL pyramid and likely grow very slowly too. Offering a humid hide (if they choose to use it), and daily soaks and spraying can help mitigate some of the dryness, but why? Why not just provide the conditions that we KNOW will grow them smooth and healthy? Some have called my methods "un-natural". Given what we now know of wild sulcatas, where they live, when they hatch, etc., I counter that the dry, desert-like set ups that have been used for decades are as un-natural for a sulcata as you can get. And we have lots of pyramided tortoises to prove it. We also have several hundred tortoises on this forum that prove that the opposite is true.

In my opinion the whole enclosure should be kept humid, around 80%, AND offer a humid hide with humidity near 100%. I have raised literally hundreds of babies this way, of three species and a subspecies, and had nothing but success. Closed chambers make this easy. Open topped enclosures make this difficult.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
@Tom,

Please don't misunderstand, I fully intend to use your method of 80% humidity enclosure and 100% in the hide. I don't find your methods of husbandry un-natural at all, quite the opposite. I am curious about their nature and in creating the indoor habitat with micro-climates (200sq ft. total) and an outdoor habitat (where I can't control as much of the humidity) and the challenges of building a zoo like display but providing the correct enviornment.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Sterling Thunder said:
@Zamric, thanks, that is what I am looking for, nothing definitive but useful in building a picture. I have to ask, the plate on his shell, I am assuming that is attached with an adhesive, what is it, a dog tag with return to sender info? He is a great looking tortoise.

It is a dogtag and it is attached with a 2 part epoxy and has his name, address and my phone #....just in case he wanders too far away (outside the fence is "Too Far")

Status
Not open for further replies.