Best Grass Types?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Does anyone have any input on different types of grass used in their tortoise enclosures?

I need something that is heat tolerant, and has a good dietary composition.

I've always had Bermuda, simply because it was already existing before I arrived and is impossible to eradicate. In speaking with several other tortoise keepers, many are of the opinion that it is not the best choice from a dietary stand point. I'm weak in these technical details and can't really understand their reasons why, but now the thought is in my head and I am seeking to find and understand better options. I have an opportunity to start fresh, and I'd like to set things up right from the start.

I've been recommended St. Augustine. This grows well here, and actually looks nice. Any thoughts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've grown grass seed mixes from nearly every supplier and all of them worked. I've also grown all sores of plain old pasture grasses like rye, blue grass, orchid grass, and many more.

My favorite and most consistent producer is this one right here:

It germinates, sprouts and grows well anytime of year except mid winter in the cold and shorter days. It tolerates my 100+ days all summer and doesn't seem to mind the terrible lack of humidity. Be prepared to water it every hour in the day light if you are planning on starting it now in the summer heat. A heavy watering at night before bedtime will get you through the night, but you better hit it heavy first thing in the morning. I've been spending a lot of time in the Southeastern US in the last few years. People who don't live where its 100+ and single digit humidity do not realize how quickly things dry out on this side of the country. Once it sprouts and gets a few inches of growth, you can ease up on the watering a bit, but don't let the surface crust over before the sprouts break through.

thelifeofbuttons

5 Year Member
Southern California
I've grown grass seed mixes from nearly every supplier and all of them worked. I've also grown all sores of plain old pasture grasses like rye, blue grass, orchid grass, and many more.

My favorite and most consistent producer is this one right here:

It germinates, sprouts and grows well anytime of year except mid winter in the cold and shorter days. It tolerates my 100+ days all summer and doesn't seem to mind the terrible lack of humidity. Be prepared to water it every hour in the day light if you are planning on starting it now in the summer heat. A heavy watering at night before bedtime will get you through the night, but you better hit it heavy first thing in the morning. I've been spending a lot of time in the Southeastern US in the last few years. People who don't live where its 100+ and single digit humidity do not realize how quickly things dry out on this side of the country. Once it sprouts and gets a few inches of growth, you can ease up on the watering a bit, but don't let the surface crust over before the sprouts break through.
The timing of this post couldn't have come at a better time. I'm also looking to grow grass from seed, as we are moving to a new property. Would this mix be a good choice for Desert Tortoises, as well as a Sulcata? (separate enclosures, of course). Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The timing of this post couldn't have come at a better time. I'm also looking to grow grass from seed, as we are moving to a new property. Would this mix be a good choice for Desert Tortoises, as well as a Sulcata? (separate enclosures, of course). Thanks!
Good for any grass eating species.