Do smaller tortoise enjoy petting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BH-Tortoise

5 Year Member
Hello forum :)

As I understand large tortoises, such as sulcatas do enjoy being stroked and rubbed in different ways.

I'm just wondering if small tortoises do aswell?

I have a greek spur thigh which is just over 1 year old and is about 3-4" long and I am wondering whether he enjoys being stroked and scratched?

Thanks,
Ben.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would say without a doubt....yes. with that said...I believe it is up to the individual tortoise :D

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi i have a pair of pancake torts.the male wants no part of me. the female follows me around and love head and neck rubs.i think they are all different. lindy

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
Depends on the tortoise. I have two Hermanns, one of them enjoy sitting on my lap and love when i pet him, he stretches his neck and feet and then just lay there :D . My other one does not love it, but he does not hate it either...

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
With my leopard it depends where... head and front of shell are a yes but if you pet him towards the back of his shell he gets angry and runs off lol

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
None of my Sulcata's like it but if they are eating they will allow it...

Homerist

10 Year Member!
my star likes the stroking under the chin and neck, but not on the head.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
My RF's seem to like it. I pick each one up and talk to them. They stretch their heads out and I give them each a head and chin rub. Again, don't know if they like it as much as they tolerate it.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
As has been previously mentioned, it depends on the individual tortoise...of my four, Apollonia is still a bit shy, but is "coming out of her shell" (forgive the pun :D), while the other three are much more interested in being gently stroked.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
I noticed lately that my Russian likes it but only if it my six year old niece that is petting him. I have no idea why?

arby2774

5 Year Member
The Berkshires of Massachusetts
Roger, my russian, does NOT appreciate it but Tanner, my little sulcata will stretch his neck out further when I pet him. Tanner also does not keep trying to walk away like Roger does.

bakexlove

5 Year Member
My Russian doesn't like being pet on the head, he hisses and ducks back in his shell.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Emrys has his days either way. Sometime, he'll be begging for attention, and sometimes I get a 'leave me alone' glare.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine loves anything with his head. Rubbing the top of his head he will push into my fingure and stay there until I quite. I also kiss his head and he doesn't move his head away for that either. I think he likes it:D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
My 6" sulcata hates it. Always pulls in his head and limbs at the first sign of me getting too close. The tiny 3" redfoot, on the other hand, doesn't at all.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Galapagos tortoises have a reputation for enjoying neck scratches and head rubs. I have an obsession with feeling reptile skin, whether it be tortoises, turtles, snakes, lizards, or crocodilians. I could scratch a Galapagos tortoise all day or until my hand fell off.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata doesn't seem to like it much either. He doesn't mind so much when his face is buried in a pile of food. He is only about 2 years old (8 inches) so I have hope that as he ages he will enjoy my scratches.

Status
Not open for further replies.